nineteen

— third's person point of view

Astoria Greengrass' hair was falling off.

She sat on her white satin bed in disbelief, gathering thick strands of hair into her palms. She shivered slightly, touching her head, hoping there weren't any bald patches. And sighed in relief. Sure, her hair was getting thinner but it still looked nice and contact.

'Good god, Tori.' Her roommate—Yeri— saw her palms full of strands.  'What happened?'

'I don't know,' she muttered solemnly.

'I think you're sick,' said Yeri, nearing her. 'You ought to take a visit towards the nurse—'

'No, I'm fine,' Astoria interjected stubbornly. 'It's probably because of yesterday's potions.'

'They fell on your hair?' Yeri narrowed her protruding eyes.

'Maybe.' Astoria got up and stretched. 'Who knows?'

Astoria, being a little girl at heart, complained about her massive hair loss towards her sister in the dining hall.

'A huge chunk—' Astoria waved her arms around to indicate how big the chunk was, '—of my hair fell off. Can you believe it? I always use the coconut oil or some shit mother used to do—'

'Your hair fell off?' Daphne echoed in horror. 'Well I never. Didn't you tell me about your nosebleed the other day?'

'Yes!' Astoria was half-whining now. She rested her chin on her sister's shoulder. 'I'm always so healthy. What's happening to me? You think I've grown unlucky? Oh my god, what if I'm cursed?'

Astoria waited for Daphne to console her or even make fun of her but when she received nothing, she scowled.

'Daph, what's gotten into you these days? You don't talk a lot like before. Did something happen?'

'Huh? No, I'm fine.'

'Fine, my arse,' she scoffed and lifted her head. 'What's been bothering you?'

'Hermione fcking Granger.'

The answer caught her off-guard.

Astoria squeaked, 'I beg your pardon?'

Daphne had her index finger pointed firmly at the brunette across the room, talking to Harry Potter. 'That bitch.'

Astoria had never saw Daphne looking at someone with such hatred. 'What kind of feud did I miss?'

'Not much.' Astoria turned her head forward to see Blaise getting a seat in front of her. He looked tired.

'I was there when the feud happened,' he said, 'and even I don't understand.'

'Is it over a boy?' Astoria guessed.

'A boy?' Daphne shot her a ridiculous look. 'Are you mental?'

Astoria gnawed at her fork. 'A girl?'

'Tori, we're not fighting over someone,' her sister said finally.

'Then?'

'It's...complicated.'

Astoria decided to keep guessing.

'It's about a book?'

'No.'

'About a duel? And you lost?'

'We all know I'll win if I ever duel against her. But no.'

'Is it about—'

'Astoria—'