fire?

rhian (a few weeks later in kashmir)

"daaamn, it's cold here..." i say, my teeth chattering against each other as i rubbed my hands up and down my arms. we were now in kashmir. you couldn't exactly say we were excited about this whole "learning how to handle mild injuries" thing, though.

"hey, who's up for a little adventuring?" indi chimed, a mischevious smile creeping up her cheeks. cameron and i grinned. we were always up for stuff like that. she turned to arthur. he was dithering helplessly, eyes flickering between the three of us. "i'm taking that as a yes," she declared firmly. with that, she grabbed arthur by the wrist and we marched off in the opposite direction of where the class was heading, unknown of to mr watson. sigh. he really was a wreck.

the moment we stepped into the woods, the branches that snapped under our weight was forgotten; the faint burning smell of fire was wafting stealthily into our nostrils. faint, but still, not to be ignored. we looked at each other, brows furrowed, as we trekked yet deeper, fully depending on our sense of smell to lead us to the fire. suddenly, a dazzling flicker of flame dances up in the air, as if to let us know we'd reached it. cameron starts running to it, eventually meeting the edge of the cliff. the flame was gone. "d'you think the fire's down there, then?" he says, anticipation evident in his face. 

author's note

next part coming right up!