The Telling - Chapter 6

(Sorry guys for not updating for a week. It is actually my science/commerce year and I was so busy with the studies. Anyways I have been writing this chapter for three hours and i just finished. It's the longest one yet. I hope you all like it :))

The rest of the ride back was... uncomfortable. The excitement and happiness that filled Ann deflated like a balloon. She still didn't understand Zinnia's over reaction when all she did was basic math. Fred and she were again on non-verbal terms. If looks could kill Ann would have been dead on the ground because Zinnia kept looking at her with such intensity that she felt hot.

Ann looked out of the window and opened her collar button to calm herself a little. None of the others were saying anything. Ann felt as if the van was suddenly too small and she started to feel nauseous. She rolled down the window even more and closed her eyes. The cool air washed over her, allowing her to breathe freely again.

When they finally arrived at The Smiggtings, Zinnia broke through the front door and locked herself in her bedroom, shutting the door loudly behind.

"It's okay, she'll come," Fred assured Ann as she looked at him with tears in her eyes. After all you don't turn twelve every day.

"Everyone settle down and start opening the presents, we're coming in a bit," he said indicating toward the closed door behind which Zinnia could be heard muttering insults loudly.

The six of the children sat down on the living room carpet and started opening the presents. It was still six in the evening but the first stars were starting to appear on the cloudy sky.

The presents cheered her up a bit. Soph and Jack gave her an art set and Jae a new sweater. Laura gifted both of them a bullet journal while they got a hand-painted portrait for Grazer who was the best in art out of the six of them.

"What's this supposed to be?" Jae asked Grazer as he tore the wrapping paper away.

"I was trying to paint the stone hedge but it ended up looking like a city landscape," Grazer grinned sheepishly.

"It's lovely," Ann said taking the painting from Jae to examine it.

"It's not much," he said playing with the button of his shirt.

"It doesn't matter how fancy it is as long as it is given with love," Ann said as she looked towards her parent's room darkly.

Jae gave her a small locket while she had bought a canary-coloured sweat-shirt for him.

"Where are they?" Jae questioned addressing to the still closed door. Suddenly there was a loud bang as if some thing shattered. It was glass.

"I don't care, if she did it by mistake!" Zinnia's shout followed the bang.

"Zinnia they are right outside, It's your children's birthday for god's sake," Fred replied though his voice was much calmer.

"I don't care," she replied still shouting.

Ann felt horrible. It was her and Jae's birthday, the day that she was waiting for ages and their parents were now ruining the already not so lovely day even more. Her friends were here and even though they know about the twins' family life, she still felt humiliated. Hot tears were rushing down her cheeks and her face felt red. Her vision was getting blurred on the edges and she could hear everyone saying something from a distance.

Out of nowhere she felt some kind of energy flowing from inside her. She felt something like electricity running in her veins. She knew this sensation as this had happened once or twice before as well, but this time she didn't question it. This time she didn't try to control herself.