CHAPTER ONE

- - - -

- - - -

Theo was clutching her younger brothers hand, and her aunt justice Strauss was clutching the shopping they had just picked up when four people she had never seen in her life walked towards them. There was a man in a weird hat, a teenage girl, a boy that looked about her age and an adorable baby. She gave the girl a small smile as they made eye contact.

"Hello there! Salutations! Shalom! You must be the Baudelaire children!" Justice Strauss exclaimed happily "yes, I'm violet Baudelaire and this is my brother klaus and sister sunny." The eldest girl, violet said. She then began to introduce the man stood next to them but Theo zoned out as she looked between the three children, they looked familiar but she couldn't put her finger on it, as she was doing so she accidentally made eye contact with klaus and he smiled at her to which she returned before looking down feeling her cheeks heating up.

"Ah well I'm Justice Strauss, of the high court and these are my Niece and Nephew, Theodora and Tomas. They live just next door!" She said, pointing to each child and then to the house next to her own. "Forgive my not shaking hands, but as you can see, I am a mountain of parcels! I just bought a new toolkit because my food processor broke. Although I don't know who I think I'm kidding because I have no inventive or mechanical skill whatsoever. Then I treated myself to some new file cards for my private library, and frankly I don't have an acute literary sense so I would have Theodora do it but I'm afraid it's a job much too large for a twelve year old to be completing on her own! And then to top it all off, I forgot to buy a new bread knife." The two elder Baudelaires looked at each other with a smile as justice Strauss spoke.

"We'd be more than happy to be of assistance, Justice Strauss. You see my sister is very mechanically minded, I wouldn't mind helping Theodora in the library." Klaus said, with another smile towards Theo. Sunny babbled something Theo couldn't quite understand, but violet must have as she said "what my sister means is that her teeth are perfect for slicing bread!" Justice strauss gasped, looking between everyone "Well how wonderful! How lucky I am to have such unusual children in my life!"

"Are you count Olaf's wife?" Klaus asked and Theo snorted, trying to hold in her laughter "what? Oh no- oh goodness me no. Well I don't even know him that well he's just our neighbour. He lives over.. there" the children's smiles fading as she spoke, pointing as best as she could at the large, dark house behind the children. How they hadn't noticed it before baffled Theo as to her it was quite an eyesore and stood out quite horribly on the street of adorable houses.

"Well they seemed lovely didn't they?" Justice Strauss spoke to her niece and nephew as they watched the children walk away with the banker man. "We should cook them something auntie!" Tomas said excitedly and their aunt nodded "would you like to join us Theo dear?" She asked, Theo nodded and mumbled a yes without tearing her eyes away from the Baudelaires stood nervously talking to Count Olaf. She felt a strong urge to protect them, but shook it off.

Word count - 612
(Heyyy! I did it, the first chapter. Sorry it's pretty short but it's only the start and I really hope you guys enjoy the story cause I'm so excited eek!)
Published 15/8/20 edited ?