CHAPTER SIX

- - - -

- - - -

Theodora felt as though they had been driving down lousy lane for hours when the house finally came into view. "Is that it?" She asked, turning to look at her father who was driving. "Oh yes, I haven't been here in years!" He replied happily, making Theo smile.

"How exactly do you know this man?" Theo asked her father and he laughed "well, we studied criminology together for a while when we were younger." He explained making Theo raise her eyebrows at her father "you studied criminology?" She asked, baffled. There was so much she didn't know about her parents lives and Theo would go on to wish that when she had the chance she asked more questions.

When they turned into the driveway Theo took note of the strange amount of snake hedges and reminded herself to ask about them later, Theo furrowed her eyebrows as she stepped out of the car to see Mr Poe stood next to his car coughing, like usual. "Mr Poe?" She asked "what are you doing here?"

Mr Poe seemed shocked to see Theo "well, I was just about to head to work. I'm late and the banking day has already begun!" He said happily, not answering Theo's question properly.

"Come on Theo!" Her father called to her, he had already stepped up to the front of the house as she watched the banker drive away. Theo obeyed her father and stood next to him, he put a kind hand on her shoulder after noticing her worried expression "I'm sure you'll have fun here! Last time I spoke to my friend he said he was looking after some children about your age!" Theo's father explained, Theo forced a smile, she was happy she wasn't going to be the only child, but she couldn't stop thinking about the Baudelaires.

The front door eventually opened, stood at it was a man with a kind looking expression and a cool moustache, she felt as though she recognised him from somewhere also, but she assumed it was probably from photographs. "Percy!" He cried cheerfully, Theo stood there awkwardly as her father and the man hugged.

Eventually her father turned back to Theo "Theo, this is Dr Montgomery." She gave the man a small smile "Hello Dr Montgomery" she said quietly and Dr Montgomery laughed "please call me monty, why I haven't seen you since you were a baby Theodora! You've grown so much." Monty said happily.

"Theo's feeling a little glum." Her father explained "well I have the perfect thing for that." He exclaimed, grabbing two plates of coconut cream cake and handed them to Theo and her father. I was just about to give the Baudelaires a tour, but you two can join us." Monty said making Theo furrow her eyebrows at the mention 'Baudelaire'.

Just as she was wondering, her three friends walked into the room, three friends she was worried she would never see again, and here they were. The Baudelaires seemed as shocked as Theo felt, Theo's father let out a hearty laugh "Oh would you look at that!" He exclaimed.

Theo hurried over to her friends and embraced them all, taking care not to squish Sunny in violets arms. "Why didn't you tell us you were coming?" Violet asked happily "I didn't know until I got here!" Theo replied, pulling away from the hug. She made eye contact with klaus and they smiled before she looked down, feeling her cheeks flush.