CHAPTER FOUR

- - - -

- - - -

"Shall I let them off the hook?" Said the Hook-handed man as the four children stood in the dining room facing Count Olaf, who was sat at the head of the table. He nodded and the henchman pushed the children towards the three chairs in front of them.

Theo sat awkwardly next to Klaus as the three were just stared at by Count Olaf. "I spent all morning making these cupcakes for you." He finally said "thank you?" Theo and the Baudelaires all muttered in unison while sunny babbled "they're store bought" making Theo suppress a laugh. "Aren't raspberries delicious?" He continued "they're were my favourite berry when I was your age." He then began licking the icing, making Theo cringe. She was not going to eat those cakes.

"But we're different ages?" Violet said confusedly before Count Olaf climbed onto the table, sliding towards the children. "I want to talk to you about something." He said, still holding the cakes "Maybe I should just-" Theo began, standing up and pointing to the exit as she felt as though she didn't need to be part of whatever 'family matter' they were going to talk about, despite how much she wanted to help the Baudelaires, Count Olaf roughly grabbed Theodora's shoulder, pushing her back into her seat. "You too blondie. I recently received a call from Mr. Poe" "is that so? I'm sorry mr Poe bothered you." Violet said sarcastically as Theo rubbed her shoulder and Klaus gave her a worried look but she just gave him a small smile.

"I'm glad he did" Count Olaf laughed "because I want you three children to feel more at home here, now that I am your father" He spoke to the Baudelaires "as you know, I have been working hard with my theater troupe, and I'm afraid I may have acted a bit standoffish."

Theo narrowed her eyes at the man, she didn't think standoffish was the correct term to use for someone who provided only one bed for three people to sleep in and strikes them across the face.

"Therefore, to make you feel a little more at home here.." he waved his arms about as he spoke "I want you all to participate in my next play." "Participate how?" Violet asked worriedly, Theo's mind was racing, but she couldn't for the life of her work out how participating in a play would help Count Olaf get the Baudelaires fortune, it made no sense.

Count Olaf laughed before beginning to choke on something, making Theo cringe again "I'm-" he stood up on the table "The play is called the marvellous marriage, and is by the great playwright Al Funcoot. We will give only one performance this Friday night. It tells the story of a very handsome and good-looking man, played by me. You, Klaus, you sunny and you- Blondie" He paused before mentioning Theo, probably forgetting her name "it's Theo" she whispered, but he just grunted "tomato tomahto. You will play three cheering people in the crowd"

"But we're shorter than most adults. Won't that look strange to the audience?" Klaus offered "you'll be playing three midgets" "and what will I do? Build the sets?" Violet asked, realising she had not been mentioned yet, "build the sets? Oh, heavens no." Count Olaf scoffed "My sister is very good with tools?" Klaus mentioned and Theo nodded in agreement, remembering the pasta machine violet fixed when they made dinner together.