CHAPTER NINE

- - - -

- - - -

The group were all sat at Monty's dining table. As Theo looked around, she realised it could probably win an award for most awkward dinner ever.

Mostly Theo pitied Violet, who she could see from next to her count Olaf was rubbing his knife against her knee, but Monty seemed to be oblivious to this fact. "Now let's eat quickly everyone, we don't want to be late to the movies." Monty spoke excitedly.

"I don't think I'll be joining tonight," Olaf said, having resumed the strange accent he always put on when Monty was around "I thought I'd stay in and read up on poisonous venoms."

"Uh oh." Sunny said quietly voicing exactly Theodora's thoughts as she, Violet and Klaus shared a worried look. He was definitely enjoying Monty's supposed obliviousness a little too much.

"Well, Stephano, you must join us. We have to celebrate your arrival." Monty spoke with a prompt nod.

"In all honesty, I prefer long-form television to the movies. It's so much more convenient to consume entertainment from the comfort of your own home." Olaf replied with a strange smile.

"Hmm. Well, I insist you come."

"I insist upon staying here."

"Well, i insisted.. louder!" Olaf shouted, acting like a child throwing a tantrum.

"Well..." Monty chuckled awkwardly "with all due respect, I feel a little uncomfortable leaving my reptiles alone with a relative stranger."

Olaf sighed, finally giving in "fine. But I would like to make a brief phone call before we leave." Monty nodded indicating that the phone was in the parlour for him to use.

The four children were still sat in an awkward silence as the two adults argued, and in an attempt to change the subject Violet asked "Could you please pass the pot stickers?"

Olaf then proceeded to pick the bowl up and shove each one in his mouth, as everyone else watched disgustedly "They're all gone." He spoke with his mouth full and passed the empty bowl to Violet before standing up and walking out of the room.

"Shotgun!" Stephano called as the group walked out of the house towards the car. This meant that Theo and the Baudelaire's would be squished in the back, though Theo wasn't complaining, she'd much rather sit next to Klaus than Olaf. "Hurry up!" Stephano stated, as the children struggled to climb into the back of the car.

The moment Monty shut the car door Olaf pulled out his knife and brandished it, and Violet spoke "We don't know what you're up to, but we will find out."

"If anything happens to my friends or me, you won't get your hands on our precious fortunes." Theodora said. Olaf, who had now switched back to his usual accent, was brandishing his knife as he spoke "If I wanted to harm you orphans, your blood would be streaming out of this car like a waterfall.