This Song Will be the Death of You

I grabbed a candle as all three of us headed up stair. Percy turned around to look at me and nodded.

     "Good thinking," He said. I tossed him the candle wax. "We can use this to cover our ears so we won't have to-"

    "I want to hear them," Annabeth interrupted him. We both looked at her in confusion.

    "Why?" Percy asked.

    "They say the Sirens sing the truth about what you desire. They tell you things about yourself you didn't even realize. That's what's so enchanting. If you survive... you become wiser. I want to hear them. How often will I get that chance?"

    Usually, I'd argue that that was a stupid idea. But coming from Annabeth, daughter of the wisdom goddess, I could she where she was coming from. It's a once in a life time opportunity. Risky, but rewarding if all goes well. Considering nothing on this trip had gone well for us, I wasn't liking her odds. But I let her talk me into it. She explained her plan to me and Percy.

    "Don't untie me," Annabeth said, from the mast she was tied up on. Percy had ordered a rope to wrap around her as tightly as possible.

    "No matter what happens or how much I plead. I'll want to go straight over the edge and drown myself."

    "Are you trying to tempt me?" Percy teased.

    "Ha-ha."

    Percy took out wads of candle wax and shifted them into ear plugs. He handed me a pair and started making his own.

   Annabeth nodded at me sarcastically, silently reminding me what a fashion statement the ear plugs were. I stuck my tongue out at her and she laughed.

    The silence bothered me. I looked around and everything that was supposed to be making noise, wasn't. Percy willed the boat to move forward but not so close to the rocks. If we got too close it would demolish our ships.

    I looked back at Annabeth and she seemed to be doing fine. Then her face got a confused look and her eyes widened.

   She began yelling and thrashing, trying to get out. She pleaded and yelled both our names. She had to get out right now, her life depended on it.

    It hurt to see her like this and I guess my subconscious took over. I took a step towards her but Percy grabbed my arm, keeping me in place.

    You can't, his eyes conveyed the message clearly.

    I looked back at Annabeth, then at Percy, who shook his head. His answer final, No.

   We turned away from Annabeth, not being able to stand the sight of her like that.

    After a few minutes, I saw Percy's hand slowly creep up to his ear. His curiosity wanted to hear too. He wanted to know what would possibly make Annabeth act like this.

    Now it was my turn to stop him. I grabbed his arm and he turned towards me. I shook my head.

    He stared at me, half mad for stopping him and half grateful. He lowered his arm and nodded.

    It took me a while to realize what was wrong. I could no longer feel the bumps and vibrations of Annabeth struggling to break free. I snuck a glance back at her but instead, all I saw were cut ropes.

    Stupid. We forgot to disarm her.

   I shook Percy and pointed to where Annabeth used to be. He ran to the side of the boat and we spotted her, swimming straight to her doom.

    Percy tried calling out her name but it was useless.

    He looked at me and tapped the boat. He pointed forward, I got the message. Keep the boat moving.

   I nodded and watched as Percy jumped over the side, landing hard on the water. Immediately, the waves wrapped around him and created a jet stream that launched him forward.

    Soon, both of them were at the jagged rocks, Annabeth still ahead. They swam out of my sight and I was left alone on the ship.