Miami Holds Unpleasent Surprises

The ship sank like quicksand. The worst part, it was taking us down with it.

       I heard Percy curse before he yelled, "Dive!"

     We all went underwater.

     I saw everyone struggling to swim away from the boat, but it kept pulling them in. I got distracted and was whacked in the head with a beam.

    "Ow," I said out loud, forgetting we were underwater and probably nobody heard that.

    We need help, I heard Percy's voice in my head.

    I gasped and looked at Percy. He made a confused face, an expression that was starting to look normal on him.

    Yes, Tyson's voice this time.

    Percy had the same reaction as me.

    We were all children of Poseidon, I guess that meant underwater communication.

    Rainbow, Tyson said.

   Percy and I nodded and concentrated hard. We sent a mental message, RAINBOW.

   Seconds later, three shapes materialized. The hippocampi looked at us and neighed. I was hoping they too could hear our thoughts. Grab the people drowning first.

    They disappeared into the wreckage and we made our way to the surface. We broke out of the water, taking in a deep breath. Breathing underwater wasn't the same as breathing in air.

     "I did it!" We heard Polyphemus' voice in the distance. "I finally sank Nobody!"

     I hope he didn't spot Nobody and his crew sailing away on the hippocampi.

    The hippocampus with Grover bowed its head to me and allowed me to grab on. Tyson got on Rainbow with Clarisse. The other carried Percy and Annabeth.

    "So," Grover said, breaking the awkward silence. Everyone else was either asleep or too tired to carry out a conversation. "Daughter of Poseidon huh?"

    I smiled and nodded. Grover began to tell me about last summer. He told me all about the quest to find the lightning thief. He told me about Luke and his army and what was in the sarcophagus. He told me about the empathy link he had created with Percy. He answered all my questions about camp and mythology with joy. I mostly kept asking questions to keep him talking, it seemed to ease his nerves.

     After awhile the the hippocampi began to act funny. They slowed down and refused to get closer to land.

    "It's the pollution," Grover said, sadly. "They won't go any further."

    I nodded. "We're in Miami, we'll have to find a way back to camp from here."

    I got off my hippocampus and thanked him.

   "Annabeth," I said. "Wake Percy up, we have to swim the rest of the way."

    Tyson sobbed and hugged Rainbow's neck, giving him a soggy mango for the road. Percy and I made the waves push us forward.

    At the beach, the crowds paid us no attention. Maybe the Mist was covering all of our bruises and cuts. Percy, Annabeth and I looked the least beat up. The water had slightly helped me and my brother and the Fleece, which had camouflaged itself as a red and gold letterman jacket, had restored Annabeth completely.

     I walked out onto the street without looking and almost got run over by a cab. "Cuidado!"

    "Perdon!" I yelled back. He gave me a curious look.