Finally, Some Good News

Later that night, Percy's bed creaked uncontrollably as he turned every two seconds. I got tired of hearing the noise so I climbed onto his bunk and sat down.

He looked up at me and pushed himself up in a sitting position.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I came here to ask you the same thing," I said.

He rubbed his eyes in frustration.

"Dad sent me a letter," he said.

"Oh."

Again, I felt like a reject. Poseidon didn't give me any recognition whatsoever. It made me angry. At my father not Percy.

"But it only had two words," he continued. "It just said 'brace yourself.' That's it. What does that even mean?"

He reached under his pillow where he had kept the letter, more like a note.

He handed it to me to prove his point. Nothing more was written on the piece of paper, just those two words.

"Maybe it's the prophecy?" I handed him back his letter.

"Maybe," he said, not really believing it. He seemed to remember something but hesitated to tell me.

I didn't want to pry so I just leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes.

After about a minute of silence, Percy spoke up. "Are you asleep?"

"Yes," I said.

"I spoke to my mom." I slowly opened my eyes and turned my head towards him.

"Was she mad?"

"Furious. But only for a second. She was mainly happy I was still alive."

"That's good," I said, closing my eyes again.

"She's almost done with her novel."

"Oh yeah?" I could tell he was stalling.

"Yeah."

"What else did she say?"

"That you could move in with us."

I shot my head up, sitting straight. "What?"

"Well I told her that I had a new sister, she was pretty happy for me. I told her you didn't have anywhere to go for the school year, and I know you can stay here year round but if you want, you're more than welcome at our place. It's not much, but my mom's pretty cool. She makes the best blue cookies-"

"Percy," I cut him off. "You really don't have to-"

"Yeah, I know I don't have to. But I want to."

I looked at him, the moonlight lit up his face as he awaited my answer. For the first time in a long time, I felt wanted. It was a feeling I never wanted to lose.

I tackled Percy in a hug and let out laughter. A tear came out from my eye but I quickly wiped it away.

"Is that a yes?" Percy smiled.

I nodded.

After a while, I pulled away from the hug and told Percy to try and get some rest for the chariot race tomorrow.

"No spoilers, but I've checked out the other chariots, and they could easily kill you in seconds."

"Gee, thanks for the pep talk sis."

"Goodnight, Percy."

I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep. No dreams. No nightmares. Just sleep.