A KING AT HEART

He sat there as he wondered about his loving family. The ones in which he struggled to provide for.

 The sweat poured down from his wrinkled face, he pushed himself through the aching pain in his chest , breathing heavily as he took in one box after the other to the island.

The ships landed in one by one with merchandise, food, and materials for their newly built island. Early mornings and late nights caused the exhaustion in his arms to hold the love in his wife and kids' hearts very dearly. 

"Just a couple more old man." The captain huffed, he stood above him, watching his every move. 

Faren nodded in acknowledgement as to the loss of energy also affected his loss for words. The other workers got paid the same as him. Work more , get more. But even all the hours he put in didn't manage to pay rent. 

These were the same clothes for 5 years.  But that was the least of his worries, putting food on the table , and bringing happiness to the twinkling eyes of his 2 daughters and son  was everything he needed.  

His neighbor on the other hand was very greedy. Had enough money to feed the village but his coldness overtook his generosity. 

His wife was always sick ; back pain, and  being emotionally traumatized from her past family issues out stood being able to do anything.  Other than clean, cook, and to raise the kids better than how she was brought up to the outside world.

The last box, which was beyond half his weight.   Making his legs tremble. Sweat poured down on his grey shirt , and now that he was done he went to collect his hardworks pay, which would be enough to buy his family's dinner.

Faren grabbed his torn up bag and the most valuable thing he had. The nicest bowl you could ever imagine. Glittery on the sides , designed in bright yellow and orange. Some sort of cursive was written on the sides but he never learned to read due to how young he started to work.

So on that evening he would go to the nearest kitchen  that he always went to.  Fill his bowl with the cheapest amount of soup and get as much bread as he could afford , so that the next day his kids and wife would eat sandwiches for lunch and not go hungry.

This was an everyday routine , stuck on accomplishing more and more everyday put the old mans heart at risk, but staying healthy would  have been to stay home and rest. Then who besides him in the family would be willing to work?

On a chilling evening one day as the old man filled the most luxurious item with soup. He turned and quickly tried to walk home, his steps were sluggish and his feet kicked the gravel as hurried. He shouldn't have because one step led him into dropping the food . 

Oh what could he do now? he couldn't go home with his hands empty. So he quickly returned to the ship.

'I'll just work for a couple hours' he thought. Rushing to the captain for some change. The captain gracefully agreed and let him stay to work .

Later that night as he laid  his head to rest.  He drifted off into a deep sleep. The waves soon took the ship in a steady pace to its next destination.

It swayed back and forth in agony, scarcely moving Faren. 

 Right before he woke,  the sun beamed onto his pupils . Although his eyes were closed , the sun rays were bright enough to pierce into his skull.

'I have to go home' was the first thought he had. Faren stood up his legs were numb from being crouched in the same position. 

He could hear the captain yelling up top but he wasn't telling everyone to unload the boxes he was saying to fill them up.

weird.

When Faren walked out, an unfamiliar scent of pine trees dawdled up his nostrils. There were new workers.

The sand was golden brown: when his feet touched it- it felt as he'd stepped on a marshmallow.

" HUH?" Captain stared at Faren, in one hand he held his bowl and in the other his hand was scratching his hair in confusion.

"Sir where am i?" Faren questioned. 

"Not where your supposed to be " He marked. With clenched teeth the captain ordered the guards to take him up to the king of the island.

--

"So you slept the entire way?" The king snarled, he was entertained at the idiocy in front of him.

Faren was upset, his kids , his wife needed him.  How long has it been since he'd been on the ship?

" Your majesty I-" he began,"-I need some wood , and some materials , I'm going to build my own ship to go back to my family."

The king agreed as to he did not need another person to annoy him.  When his ship was done he thanked the king for allowing him to return to his family.

" one more thing-" The king stated.

"I will give you anything , anything you want if you give me that bowl." King growled. 

The bowl?

The king liked the Bowl so much He thought it was a perfect fit as being his new crown. His most prized possession was going to be in the hands of an island owner. Faren had no reason to not give it to him.

Giving him the bowl in the return of gold and diamonds, he returned to the village with more than what he first started out with.

Faren helped his village , building schools , donating money to hospitals-  now he lived in the biggest mansion he never thought n a million years he would have.

On a chilling evening, Farens old neighbor came to visit him.

" You Just went to the island?" his neighbor asked. He was greedy AND nosy.  Faren specifically told him everything, leaving the part of the bowl out.

His neighbor then decided to go to the island. But in order to go he needed his own ship, so he sold his mansion. Bought the most expensive clothing and loaded it up on his ship.

When he arrived to the island. The king was more than pleased when he received the items.

" Sir what will I get in return for everything that I have brought to you?" He asked. 

" I'm going to give you what I love most, you have to promise me to take care of it. This means so much to me" He remarked.

"what is that sir" he hungrily asked. The greedy man always wanted something in return.

"This bowl" The king handed him what he dearly appreciated. And him not knowing that it merely cost nothing . Its' beauty of Farens hard work stood recognized in the kings trade.

-------------------------

THANK YOU FOR READING!!!

IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW :)

-R