3

The students of Class 1-A started to pack their things and put them into their bags as the last subject teacher finally ended the class. Humming the last song you listened to earlier in the morning while pinning your pen in your English notebook, you take a moment to glance at the front to read what is written on the blackboard by your teacher before she leaves the room. The moment you comprehended what was written, however, your humming paused momentarily alongside with your shoulders slumped and a small pout formed on your lips.

On the blackboard, below the words, "ASSIGNED FOR THE CLEANING DUTY," written in bold letters, is your classmate's name beside yours.

I really dislike Fridays every third week of the month.

Kenzou approached your desk, asking if you wanted him to wait for you so you could go together but you dismissed it and offered that he could go first and make his way to Mitsuhi and Akihiro's rooms. After he leaves you with a, "See you later," you let out a sigh. You check your things if all of it is already in your bag before standing up and going straight to the back of the room to pick up a broom and the dustpan, waiting for your classmates to finally get out so you can proceed with your duty. Every day, there will be two different students who are assigned to clean the room, and being assigned on Friday is more troublesome than any other day because you need to make sure that the room will maintain its cleanliness for two days until the whole class comes back on Monday.

After picking up the broom, you went back to your desk and rummaged through your bag to get your earphones. Plugging them into your ears, you choose the song you are humming earlier and proceed to arrange the desks and chairs before sweeping the floor, not bothering to check and look at the other student who is alongside you inside the classroom. Knowing your usual partner for every cleaning duty, you are confident that your classmate will do his part in cleaning. You are not that close with him (considering that your only friends are the trio) but both of you know your responsibility and he is a bit clean freak, making the chore less bothersome.

The two of you cleaning the room continued for a while but it did not take that much time because thankfully, your classmates are tidy. Every now and then, you can see in your peripherals the moving chairs, the writings on the whiteboard being erased, and the locking of each window so you are quite sure that your classmate is doing his part right and you are both going to complete this duty again like any other cleaning day with no problems. You thought it was finally time to go when the room was slowly being surrounded by a warm orange tinge indicating the upcoming end of the day. Pleased with your work, you put the broom and dustpan back inside of the cabinet, dusted off your hands, and gathered your bag from your chair. Before walking out of the room, you take a look in the window for a moment and admire the sunset outside. With the song currently playing in your earphones and the beauty of the sun setting down on the horizon, you continued to be lost in a daze until a tap on your shoulder halted you from it.

Coming back to earth, you remove one of your earphones and turn your attention to where the action came from.

"I'm sorry, what—"

"The teacher told us to go to the library."

Your heartbeat came to a slight halt, due to shock and... another reason, before its beating went into a rampage. Is this some sort of a cliché crap? You blinked and you contemplated rubbing your eyes like a cartoon character to make sure that you were not hallucinating and that what was happening at the moment was real.

There, standing mighty in front of you is Kenji. He has his bag hanging on his shoulders and both hands in his pockets. With the ray of the sunset passing over the window and shadowing his whole figure, he looks... mesmerizing. He runs one of his hands through his blond hair before looking directly at you whose mouth is unconsciously now slightly open.