Chapter Two: Where's a hero when you need one?

Dakota's POV.

As soon as I saw Ben, a strange tingling sensation took over my entire body and I just felt the need to be close to him. I did that alright! I went and bloody hugged him! Wiping a bead of sweat from my forehead, I jog slower as I start to feel an ache in my ankle. I've been running way too long!

A low, menacing growl snaps me out of my thoughts as I turn my head to the source of the noise. A large, black wolf with straggly fur stares at me with blood thirsty eyes. It looks ready to attack and that's enough to cause me to run. I've never seen a transformed wolf before, I've met wolves but in human form. Something tells me this isn't one of the local wolves. It looks too wild, too threatening.

I urge my legs to run but my body is paralyzed from fear. I'm going to die right here and now. The creature advances towards me and leaps in the air, ready to pounce on me. Closing my eyes firmly shut, I pinch my arm, hoping that I'm dreaming but I feel the small nip and know this is real. Think happy thoughts. Preparing for death, I take a deep breath and those few seconds when the wolf lunges at me seems like eternity.

A short, loud howl causes me to open my eyes. A second wolf has tackled my attacker to the ground and is growling at it. This one, although it's currently pinning the first one to the ground, seems more tame. This wolf is lighter and has much cleaner, healthier looking fur.

Taking a step back, I stumble over a branch, letting out a small yelp as I fall to the ground. The two wolves fight, scratching at each other and wrestling on the ground. They bite each other in an attempt to harm each other as I try get up but my legs won't carry me. The first wolf bites the neck of the golden coloured one and an agonizing howl fills my ears. In no time, my attacker is on top of me, pinning me to the ground as it growls in my ear. Razor sharp teeth grind against my shoulder but it doesn't bite me, not yet. Shaking, I attempt to push the beast off but I'm too weak a match for it. Grinding it's teeth against my thigh, it takes one last look at me before sinking it's teeth deep into my thigh. A high pitched, ear piercing scream comes out of my mouth as tears spill down my cheeks and I close my eyes.

Shivering I breath heavily, wishing the pain would go away but it doesn't. There's a low whine from the other wolf, almost like it's hurt as well but it can't be as the attacker is on top of me. The wolf on top of me, rests all it's weight on me, satisfied with the bite and ready to kill me. I struggle for breath under it's immense weight as my heart pounds against my chest.

Suddenly, the weight dissapears as the animal runs off quickly. Why? Looking around with blurred vision I see around seven wolves surrounding me with bared teeth at the wolf that runs away, the one that tried to rescue me earlier snarls before they all disappear into the trees. Wait! They're just going to leave me? What if the black wolf returns?

My panic is over as seven human men emerge from the trees, some still tugging tee shirts on. Of course. They had to transform! "Come on my little mate, let's get you fixed up." I recognize the Alpha's voice as he lifts me in his strong arms and begins walking, the others following close behind. I snuggle into his chest as he carries me bridal style, careful not to hurt my tender thigh. There's that tingling feeling again, how come I get it every time I'm near Ben? My breathing finally returns to normal as we arrive at the pack house. I wince as Ben readjusts my position so we can get through the door. "I'm sorry little one, we'll get rid of the pain I promise." Ben reassures me.

Wait. Did he say mate?