Chapter Six: Why wait?

• Dedicated to Jasmine Jaz Phillips

Ben's POV.

Time is free,

But it's priceless.

You can't own it,

But you can use it.

You can't keep it,

But you can spend it.

Once you've lost it,

You can never get it back.

This is what has lead to my decision to talk to Dakota. As the doctor said, he is unsure of how long we have until Dakota can no longer speak. That's why we need to do this now, before it's too late. It's been a week since our hospital visit and Dakota and I have used this time to get to know each other and really bond, as we didn't get the chance to in our first few days of finding each other. Since the day we found out about Dakota's condition, nothing major has happened, except for Dakota is stuttering frequently but she always puts on a brave face. Such a brave exterior for such a beautiful human being.

Wandering into the living room, I find Dakota propped up in an arm chair reading. She says she wants to read as much as she can before she loses understanding of it. I smile warmly as I lift her from the chair, stealing her seat with a mischevious grin before setting her on my lap, in my arms, the way you would with a baby. Dakota folds the corner of her book and drops it to the floor, nestling her head into my chest. "Can we talk little rabbit?" I ask in a soft, gentle voice, calling her by her nickname I gave her. Dakota nods her head "Of course." She smiles as I run a hand through her long, brown hair. Here goes.

"We don't know how long we have until you can't talk but I hope it's a long time because I'll miss hearing your beautiful voice. We've only known each other for a few weeks but the bond we have means we'll never separate. Not just because of the whole mate thing, but because not only are you my best friend but my entire world and Dakota Alice Merryweather, I'm madly, uncontrollably and irrevocably in love with you. You're my entire future, forget my reputation, forget life itself, I want to walk into tomorrow and the day after with you by my side. I want to spend eternity with you, mute or not, I'll be by your side and this is what's lead me to this question. I want to hear your voice say two words the most, those two words are 'I do' so Dakota will you do me the great honour of being my wife?"

With this, I take out a small, silver ring with a real diamond, a nervous smile on my face.

"I will."

I pull Dakota tight to my chest, tears in my eyes as she laughs softly.

"Dakota, you've just made me the happiest man in the world. I love you more than life itself."

"I love you too Ben."

Sorry it's short but had to do this chapter! AHHH FEELS!!!