chapter sixteen

sixteen
"daredevil idiot"

—

"WE'RE GONNA HAVE TO GO in from above."

Lynn glanced up from staring down the dark hallway where the elevator with a mother and son went down, due to the cables snapping from a flooded basement. Bobby had directed the crew they would going above, but before it was a final decision, Buck spoke up.

"Me and Eve should just go down with the basket," Buck suggested, and Bobby gave it a slight thought before nodding softly.

"I'll get the winch," Chimney said, not even giving Bobby a second to tell him himself.

"I'll lock and tag out the power of the cars," Bobby suggested, and then he turned his body towards Hen, pointing to her with his index finger. "Hen, come with me. Where's the elevator room?"

So, everyone split up to do their separate jobs and all met back up merely a few minutes later; knowing time was valuable for this mother and son duo. Because the crew knew if they didn't get there soon, they'd drown before they could be rescued.

"Alright, let's go," Bobby commanded, glancing over towards Lynn and Buck, who both had helmets strapped to their heads and gear wrapped heavily around their bodies.

After their cables were connected securely, both Lyn and Buck started making their way down slowly, towards the broken elevator pooling with water.

"Well, this is fun, isn't it?" Buck spoke up with amusement clear in his voice, and Lynn only shook her head, however a small smile climbed its way onto her face.

"You're such a daredevil dork," Lynn snickered, her feet landing a bit harshly on the metal covering of the elevator-and immediately she started to hear yelling come from inside.

Buck did the same beside her, and knelt down to his knee's while he started to peel at the small opening. "Be right there, guys."

"You ready?" Lynn questioned, wrapping her slender fingers around the red rope attached to Buck's harness.

"Yep," Buck responded, nodding with confidence as he started to get lowered into the flooding elevator. "Watch yourselves, rope coming in."

After a moment of Buck tying the second harness he had around the mother, he gave Lynn a thumbs up, signaling to let Bobby know he was ready for the winch.

"Alright, Bobby, we're set with the mother," Lynn explained while her index finger was pressed against the radio, and she knew he had heard her call because then the winch started moving in the opposite direction, pulling the mother. "You're gonna be just fine."

Then, after the woman met the safety of the upstairs level where the rest of the team was, she heard Buck's voice echo over the radio-asking for another harness. But just as soon as Bobby answered, a mechanical sound echoed throughout the deep metal hole.

"Evan?" Lynn called out, lowering her body down so she could just barely poke her head into elevator. She realized the water levels increased tenfold, and it was taking on even more by the second.

"Hey, t-the weight of the water is pulling us down," Buck stated, and he started to sound a bit panicked, but still calm for the kid.

"Alright, grab the kid, get the hell out of there," Bobby instructed over the radio, and Lynn just stared at Buck as he glanced back up towards her, and she could see the littlest amount of fear bubbling in his eyes.

"Yeah, but we both won't fit. I need another harness," Buck replied into the radio again, and then he glanced to the kid beside him, swimming slightly since he couldn't keep his feet on the ground anymore. "I don't suppose you do a lot of pull-ups?"

"What?"

"That's what I thought," Buck groaned, and then Lynn backed up when she realized the rope was tightening-meaning that he was getting ready to be pulled up. "Okay, pull it up."

Lynn helped the young boy up, his already stick-like body seemed to be even smaller now that he was dripping wet and his clothes stuck to his skin. When Lynn's gaze met that of Bobby's, she knew that the boy was in good hands and then glanced back down to Buck.

However, she couldn't see the boy now that the elevator was almost all the way full of water. Lynn anxiously swallowed as she waited for movement, for anything, and then her breathing started to her hitched.

"Evan!" Lynn yelled out, and she pounded her fist against the metal covering. "Buck!"

Lynn let out the smallest of reliefs when she saw Buck's fingertips wrap around the edge of the covering, pulling himself out of the water just as if seemed to reach the top.

He stepped up on his feet, waving his arms about aimlessly with the biggest grin on his face. Lynn scoffed slightly, rolling her eyes, mostly because she couldn't believe she was actually worried sick about Buck not pulling out in time.

"Aw, Evie, were you worried about me for a minute?" Buck teased, raising his dripping wet arm to wrap it softly around Lynn's shoulders, making her groan out in annoyance since she was now getting wet.

"As if," Lynn sneered, scrunching up her nose at the boy as the two both seemed to start getting pulled back up from the rest of the team.

a/n: short chapter sorry!! it's more a filler so we know what chapter were at!