chapter twenty

twenty
"her first lost"

trigger warning; mentions of suicide

"OKAY, SO WE HAVE A suicide call for a woman in this apartment."

Lynn gazed up from staring at her feet, and her eyes met with a tall apartment building that had at least ten floors. The crew had just arrived on scene, and were scrambling to see if this suicider was on a balcony, so she could jump to her death. But it didn't seem like anyone was outside, which made sense since it felt like one hundred degrees.

"Dispatch just rolled out that it's apartment 4C, let's go," Bobby spoke up again, looking at each of his individual firefighters. "Hen and Chimney, stay down here and alert us if you see her on the balcony, Buck, Lynn, you're with me."

The now smaller team, slowly and carefully, skipped their way up the many floors between them and the suicider. Lynn was bubbling with nervousness, since this was one of her first suicides where she would actually be on scene, and not just from a distance.

As they finally arrived at the apartment, Lynn let out the smallest of sighs as she wasn't exactly sure what to expect.

"Lynn, I want you to talk to her," Bobby instructed, and Lynn glanced up with shock and disbelief written on her face.

"Wait, Cap, why me?" Lynn questioned, her eyes switching from him over towards the door.

"Dispatch said the woman is around your age, the last thing she needs is an old man or a playboy trying to talk to her," Bobby replied, earning almost a glare from Buck with attitude.

"I'm not a playboy, anymore," Buck corrected, making Bobby roll his eyes, but he ignored the boy and turned back to Lynn.

"You've got this, I know you do."

Lynn met eye contact with Bobby, and felt the tiniest bit better knowing there was only truth hidden away in his eyes. But Buck still saw how nervous the girl was, so he reached forward to grip ahold of her hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze and supportive smile.

"I know you can do this, Eve," Buck stated, but once he realized that Bobby was staring at the two of them, he quickly pulled away.

Lynn sucked in a deep breath, and then let it exhale while she rose her small knuckles to pound on the door softly.

"Hello? This is Evelynn Kennedy, I'm with the LAFD," Lynn yelled, not in a harsh way but more gentle where the woman in distress could still hear her. When she heard no response, she slowly turned the doorknob, and she recognized it was unlocked. "I'm stepping inside, but just me, okay?"