chapter nineteen

nineteen
"evan buckley?"

—

"EVAN BUCKLEY, GIVE ME THE damn controller!"

Lynn let out an annoyed, exasperated puff of air as Buck once again stole the xbox controller straight out of her hands. She then decided to smack the boy in the back of the head, and just as soon as she raised her fingers to flick his ear, he swiftly turned on his butt and moved quickly out of the way.

"Close one, Evie, we'd hate to have to call HR again, wouldn't we?" Buck teased, sticking his tongue out at the girl as he click a button to start another game.

"Bobby!" Lynn whined dramatically, falling backwards on the couch cushions they had once again placed on the floor for support. "Evan won't let me have a turn!"

"You two need to learn how to share things, so Buck, give her a turn," Bobby responded simply, yet his voice was still laced with authority.

Just as the two young adults glanced over their shoulders to continue arguing with who should have the next turn for the firefighting game, they furrowed their eyebrows when it looked like Bobby was so disinterested with them and laser focused on his laptop in front of him.

Both of the firefighters narrowed their eyes at each other, almost asking if the other was going to be the one to speak up. However, they were saved by the bell when Chimney and Hen had made their way towards Bobby, who instinctively shut the laptop closed with a certain swiftness.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. What was that all about?" Chimney spoke up after realizing the same thing Buck and Lynn had just recognized.

Buck placed the game on pause, and they both rose from their comfortable seats and started walking towards the gossip seemingly growing.

"What?"

"You closed your laptop as soon as we walked in here, like you were hiding something," Chimney explained, pointing towards the silver laptop with a smirk growing.

"No, I didn't," Bobby responded, but his voice had a bit of an edge to it, and the firefighters had all seemed to catch on with Bobby's giveaways.

"Yeah, you did."

By now, both Hen and Chimney had now recognized that Buck and Lynn were now standing off to the side, and they equally seemed interested and amused with the situation.

"I just took a sip of tea," Bobby defended, pointing towards his basically empty mug off to the side of his laptop. And before he even had a chance to move his hand, Chimney had managed to snake his fingers around the laptop. "Chim!"

Chimney made tsk-tsk noises, and then peeled open the computer for all the firefighters crammed together to see. And they all gasped at a the website uploaded on the screen.