Pt. 1 BABW ✍

Hello, beautifully minded artist!

Let's begin the first session of Becoming a Better Writer!
.

.

.

.
➖Writing Tips➖

I'm just going to rapid-fire the things I remember that helped me! XD

(Also this may have spelling errors or grammatical issues, feel free to point them out & I'll edit them)

1. If you write every day, you get better at writing.

I know that sounds boring, but I can't explain how crucial this. Even if it's just a little. I've progressed so much from when I first started just from writing at least once a day.

2. If it's boring to you... it's boring to your reader.

If you feel your book is boring don't settle for it, take a break if you need to regain more creative thinking. Read a book. Watch a movie. Look at your scenery. Taking a break for a moment helps writers get out of their writing daze enough to see if their work is any good. Which leads to my next point:

3. Take breaks. It's good to have a short break or to even sleep on an idea, plot, chapter, etc.

Some days, I'll write a chapter and I won't know if it's any good/if it's good enough so I'll sleep on it. And then the next day, I'll read it normally and it's like I have a clear & fresh mind not clouded by a bunch of plots, writing styles, ideas, etc, so I get to see everything right and wrong about my work. I get to see through the eyes of a clear-minded reader, not a clutter-minded writer.

4. Get a writing routine, and stick with it. Progression is key.

 5. RESIST in ALL ways stereotypes, in real life, and in your writing.

Some readers don't like having the cliche mean girl/ nerdy girl/ jock dude/ etc. 

BUT some people, like myself, like the occasional cringe/stereotypical story XD. But we shouldn't have to convince ourselves to read or bare through it, which is what the majority of readers do with a basic, stereotypical story.

I'd say if you make a stereotypical story, make it with the intention to spice things up or change it, other than that, try to refrain from it. (I know for me, thats what makes me turn away the quickest in a book.)

It can make a book seem unrealistic, it limits the reader to only certain types of people and ways of living. When we really want to see diversity, nothing cliche.
Sometimes the popular girl isn't rich or dating the football player (like she could be a serial killer XD), sometimes the main football player isn't popular and handsome, sometimes the nerdy girl could have a lot of friends and a good boyfriend, etc, the options are limitless. Don't limit them.

6. Writers read. Writers read
a lot. Writers read all the time. Find a book. Read it. Take in the different writing styles, ideas, plots, etc.

 Having a variety will help your book be a lot better!

7. Always bring your notebook. Always bring a spare pen. Or at least a phone with a quick, accessible notepad app to jot ideas down in an instant.

Which leads to my next point...

8. Go for walks. Dance. Pull weeds. Do the dishes. Play your favorite songs. Do some of your favorite things. Analyze and Write about it. You'll be surprised by what you'll learn.

Writing is all about making what the reader is reading feel real. How do you make it feel real? Makes your character's experiences as realistic as possible.

If you can experience it, then do it. (Within reason, and only if it's positive!!)

What I mean by this is, if you need to write a scene on happiness, think about a moment when you were exceedingly happy. A scene full of comedy and laughter? Play a comedic show or think of a memory in your life that will help make the character's reaction, plot, etc, more realistic.

Is your character having to plant a garden? Try planting a flower yourself to experience what it's like. I did things like this many times, even with dialogue. I'd look in front of the mirror and say/act out my lines to see if things were right.

You can even Google things. Like in my book, it deals with a lot of mental/psychological things. (PTSD, ADHA, Bipolar, depression, anxiety, etc) So what do I do? Research!! Look up how someone would react during certain things! Or signs/symptoms if someone dealt with {fill in the blank}.

Books need to feel real.

9. Don't settle on just one style. Try something new! This will help the readers stay intrigued and not bored.

What are writing styles? Google them! It'll explain the many types of writing that'll make your book better!

10. Try different points of view (Pov)!

The 3rd pov isn't the only perspective, but 2nd (you/your) and 1st (I/me/my).

Along with 1st pov isn't the only perspective, but 3rd and 2nd.

But, It's completely okay if your story is a story solely based on one consistent pov! It's a writing style!

But for others open to spice things up, it's ok to change or try something new! Don't limit imagination! This will greatly help your readers enjoy your book which will greatly help you!

Now for the stories solely based on 3rd pov, try letting the reader see/feel through the eyes and body of a specific character (1st pov)! These types of stories with many povs are great to have! They pull the reader in by magnifying on a character's feelings, emotions, etc. It makes them real to the readers. Sometimes people don't like to have a 3rd point of view, but to be made personal with the characters.

That also can be reversed. Sometimes people like seeing things in a group, not always magnified on only one character (3rd pov). For those that always write in 1st pov, try something new to intrigue your readers! Like 3rd pov.

Find the balance in povs that works for you and pursue it! Balance is gold!!

11. Learn to tell both sides of the story. Readers like options.

Readers like to see all (or at least a few) sides before making a decision. It makes the reader feel more intact to the book instead of being forced to side with one character. Maybe the reader wants to side with the antagonist? Give options!!

12. Go write something!

.

.

.

Hope this was helpful! I'll be trying to publish the Becoming a Better Writer series each week. ✨ 🧚‍♀️💕
.
.
.
Next Chapter: 🃏Deck of Cards Log#7🃏