Pt.2 BABW ✍

Hello, beautifully minded artist!

Let's begin the second session of Becoming a Better Writer!

(Sorry it took so long)
.

.

.

.
➖Writing Tips➖

(Also this may have spelling errors or grammatical issues, feel free to point them out & I'll edit them)

This one is kinda long XD.
---

1. En-liven with conflict!

Occasional conflict and disagreements keep dialogue interesting.

Not all people walk around in rainbows and harmony. People argue and disagree.

And when it comes to apologizing, realistically speaking, people normally don't like to apologize. Unless it's a trait of one of your character(s) where they do so. But for all those with siblings (like me XD) y'all know you hate apologizing XD.

So make some conflict.

And some conflicts aren't easily resolved.

I've read many stories where two characters will have an intense disagreement and as soon as a problem or other scene is shown, all disagreements, issues, hate, everything just leaves miraculously.

When in all reality it takes a bit to go away (unless it's a trait of your character/group/etc to do otherwise).

Maybe make a scene where the characters continue to argue when the problem comes. Maybe they have to fight a villain? So as they do it, they could either continue to argue, makeup, or say something like "I'll deal with you later/ We'll continue this later" (& etc).

And sky's the limit with what the conflict can be about. It doesn't always have to be super deep, but even a light-hearted or petty scenario between two characters too.

Make conflict, make it last, make it worth reading.

---

2. Keep dialogue tags minimal!

Use 'he said', 'she sasked', 'they replied', (etc), ONLY if we can't tell who's speaking without them.

If not, you have an endless of:

"Hey," Mary said.
"Hello," Bill said.
"How are you?"Mary asked.
"I'm well, how about you?" Bill replied.
"I'm well, thanks," Mary said.

Tags don't have to go with every phrase, especially in the dialog between two characters.

Ex:
"I was thinking of you," Mary whispered to Bill.
"Why?"
"I don't know...I just was."
"Well, don't. Now leave me be."
"Okay, sorry."