Chapter 4

As Mark exited the forest he couldn't help but smile. That man, he hadn't learned his name yet, but he was definitely something special. While Mark hadn't learned much about the man, he hoped to be able to one day. 

"Intemerata." He mumbled as he walked through the town. 'That's an odd word. I don't remember learning that word either, I just kind of...knew it.' He hummed glancing down at the mist throughout the streets. 'A mystical being who cannot be touched who can speak to literal mist. My lucky day.' He chuckled to himself as he pulled out his key and entered his house. 

'And to him, I'm different.' A small sigh escaped his lips as he flopped down on his couch. 'That guy Kroe, who would do something like that? To purposely cause him pain after earning his trust.' Mark shook his head, a sour taste in his mouth. A thought came to his mind and he pulled out his phone before typing in the search bar, "intemerata".

'The intemerata are part of an old legend in the small town Caligo Forest. Because of the mist that weaves through the town the founders thought that there was some magical being there. They spread rumors about a kingdom in the mist covered forest. A kingdom of powerful creatures who could not be touched by humans. Several expeditions were made into the forest but no such kingdom was found. Years past and the legend was lost in history, only told by the few that had heard the story and passed it on. Now the forest remains quiet and inhabited and no one dares to go in it.'

Mark pursed his lips, "spooky." He sighed and tossed his phone onto the couch before laying across it to look at the ceiling. His conversation with that man had been the most interesting thing that happened to him here so far. While he knew he was hear to get himself in check, he at least hoped he'd have some fun around here. But there wasn't really anyone his age, besides Marzia and Felix, and today was the first time he'd hung out with them. 

He tried going to the library, the gym, and tried to take walks around the neighborhood, but it all ended up with him being bored. Which if anything, was having the opposite effect with his anger issues. 

A quiet hum brought him out of his thoughts and his attention was drawn to his phone. "Tom." He smiles before answering the phone. "Hey you weirdo, whatcha want?"

"Mark! Ah, it's good to hear your voice again."

"Miss me that much already?" Mark smirked, crossing his legs up in the couch.

"It's too quiet without you here."

Mark rolled his eyes and clicked his tongue, "even with the baby?" Tok sighed from the other side, sounding tired.

"All the baby does is scream." Mark chuckled imagining his brothers tired face.

"Sounds like a handful."

"Yeah, plus I really miss you. Even your temper tantrums are easier to deal with."

"Hey!"

"I'm joking." Tom laughed as Mark huffed. 

"How have you been?" He asked. Mark hummed debating on being honest or saying what Tom probably wanted to hear. "Meh, I've been fine. Kind of bored honestly." Tom sighed, "I bet, I'm sorry." Mark shook his head despite the fact that Tom couldn't see him. "It's fine."

"Make any new friends?"

Mark shrugged, "eh, I met this nice couple that walks past my house every morning and evening. They showed me around the town, pretty cool."

"Nice."

"Yep." Mark hummed picking at his fingers.

"So anyway, sUpErNaTuRaL events happen down in the Caligo forest?" Mark rolled his eyes not only at his brother but the coincidence of his question. However, he bit his lip before he spoke. "Funny you should say that."

"Mark?" Tom hummer sounding concerned.

"You can't tell mom."

"Please when have I ever told mom about the shit we get into?"

"Fair enough." Mark sighed before continuing. "Apparently there's this rule of thumb in the town that your not supposed to go into the forest."

"And you went in it."

"Yes, now it was really pretty like really pretty so of course I went in. Then I got attacked by a wolf."

"Mark!"

"Shut up, let me talk." Mark growled before calming himself. "However, this literal mist being. No let me release that, the most of the forest protected me. Like came around me and I guess yelled at the wolf. Because the wolf acted like chica when being scolded and then ran away." 

There was silence on the other side before Tom spoke up. "The mist, protected you?" Mark nodded, "it did but that's not all." Mark stood up beginning to pace while he talked. "Then this guy showed up. I saw him earlier at the farmers market but didn't say anything, but after the whole wolf thing he just came out of now where. He said the mist's name was ale."

"Ale?"

"Ale, like the drink."

"Okay then..." 

"So anyway, we got to talking and I found out he's  some legendary being I guess from the legend of that forest. An intemerata is what he's called, which means untouchable. Which is appropriate because his species cannot he touched by humans. But Tom, he was so mysterious like, he didn't understand some English sayings, some human customs confuse him, he can communicate with Ale, and he was just so...amazing." Mark finished rambling waiting for his brothers response.

"Wow...that's a lot." Mark winced waiting for Tom to scold him.

"What's his name?"

Mark sighed as he sat back down. "I don't know yet. He said we're not on that level of trust for me to know his name yet." Tom hummed, "does he know yours?" Mark chewed on his thumb in thought, "I don't remember. I may have told him but I'm not sure."

"Are you sure you didn't just get yourself into a load of shit Mark?"

"I'm sure, I don't think this guy would hurt me."

"Okay...you'll have to keep me updated because I can agree with you. This guy does sound interesting." Mark nodded before checking the time. "I think I'm gonna head to bed Tom."

"Alright, sleep well. It was good talking to you Mark. I love youuuuu!"

Mark rolled his eyes with a smirk, "love you too." He then hung up shaking his head. With a stretch he stood and walked toward his bedroom. 'I'll have to go back to the forest tomorrow.'