Chapter 1

60 years earlier...

In a garden in The Shire, sat a lovely young hobbit girl, reading a book. The pleasant breeze blowing through was calming, and the peaceful silence that came from living in these hills was perfect. This hobbit's name was (Y/n), and close by, sitting on his bench, smoking a pipe, was her brother, Bilbo Baggins. (Y/n) watched for a moment as Bilbo made smoke rings in the air, smiling as they disappeared from the breeze. Looking back down at her book, neither hobbit noticed the tall figure making their way to the Baggins's home. This figure had a tall, pointy hat, long grey robes, and a long beard. He held a walking stick as he trudged on the path.

Bilbo closed his eyes as he sat, but felt something on his face and scrunched his nose. Opening them, he saw the stranger. (Y/n) was reading her book, but looked up when she heard Bilbo go "oh!" at the smoke butterfly that disappeared. She widened her eyes at the stranger, closed her book, and got up to go sit on the bench next to her brother.

"Good morning," Bilbo said as his sister sat down. (Y/n) nodded to the man, but was still intrigued by him.

"What do you mean?" the stranger asked "Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not?"

The hobbits looked at the man and blinked.

"Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning? Or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?" he continued.

(Y/n) smirked at the strange man's antics, happy there was something different about him from the habitable nature of hobbits. Bilbo looked confused, but replied " All of then at once, I suppose"

The man's smile lessened for a moment, and Bilbo looked back up at him.

"Can we help you?" (Y/n) asked.

"That remains to be seen. I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure" the man replied.

The two hobbits had very different reactions. Bilbo stopped smoking his pipe and looked at the man as if he had three heads. (Y/n), on the other hand, perked up and her eyes widened in excitement.

"An adventure?" they said in unison.

"No, I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in adventures" Bilbo said as he got up to get the mail "Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner!"

"Well, I for one-" (Y/n) began but was cut off by her brother.

"No! No, you-you are not going on any ADVENTURE. As I said, make you late for dinner"

"Bilbo-" she tried.

"NO" Bilbo snapped. (Y/n) huffed and crossed her arms as Bilbo turned back to looking at the mail. He hummed a bit while looking before glancing back at the man and giving him another "Good morning". (Y/n) sighed and began to follow her brother up the stone steps to their hole.

"To think that I should have lived to be 'good morninged' by Belladonna Took's son, as if I were selling buttons at the door!" the man exclaimed.

"Beg your pardon?" Bilbo said, looking back at the man. (Y/n) stopped and turned around at the mention of their mother's name.

"You've changed, and not entirely for the better, Bilbo Baggins. It's a miracle to see Miss (Y/n) Baggins has not lost her thrill for adventure!"

(Y/n) smiled at the man's words.

"Im sorry, do we know you?" Bilbo questioned, confused.

"Well, you know my name, although you don't remember I belong to it. Im Gandalf! And Gandalf means... me" the man, Gandalf, said.