Hitting 'the'Rock Bottom - Solby

Sam's P.O.V

Today we were going to explore Griffith park, and the Bronson caves for the Sam and Colby channel. We packed up our bags and hit the road. It took us almost 3 hours of driving to get there but we made it in one piece. Colby got out the bags and the camera and we started to walk up the hill. Not much was going on. It took us 20 minutes to get to the first area that we wanted to explore and thankfully it was still broad daylight so we didn't have any trouble finding our way around. There was a small tunnel that had been semi-flooded with water. Just high enough that it would probably get into our shoes, about up to our ankles. Colby had no hesitation and began to walk across the small stones that were jutting out from under the surface. "You're gonna fall!" Corey said, immediately going into aunt Corey mode. 

"I think it's reasonably safe." I said, "There are rocks the whole way down, just hug the wall and try not to fall." We all walked over to the tunnel and began to climb across the rocks. All was going well, until it wasn't.

Jake had stumbled slightly and in his panic he had grabbed onto Colby, pulling the young boy backwards. Jake was able to stand upright again, however Colby was falling. Backwards. He hit the ground with a a loud echoing thump followed by a scream. "Colby!" I yelled, "Oh fuck it." I stepped off the rock and ran through the water to where my best friend was lying lifeless. "Oh god! Colby! Can you hear me?" Corey was soon beside me. "We can check him over in a second, we need to get him out of this water, otherwise he'll have hypothermia on top of anything else." Corey lifted Colby up and carried him out. That was when I noticed that it wasn't just water dripping from his hair but blood! Corey lay Colby on the ground. "Corey, I think he's cracked his head open!" I said, "The back of his head is all bloody." Corey placed his hand on the back of Colby's head to feel around for anything but the second he moved his hand we could see it was dripping with watered down blood. "Shit, I'm calling an ambulance." I said, pulling out my phone and walking a couple steps away. I dialled 911. "Hello, which service is required?" 

"I need an ambulance!" 

"Okay sir, I'll transfer you now." 

"Hello?" Another lady said. "What is your emergency?"

"It's my friend he fell backwards and hit his head on a rock, he's unconscious and head is bleeding so much!" 

"Alright sir and where are you?" 

"We are in Griffith Park." 

"Got it, okay there is an ambulance on the way. Can you check the victims breathing and pulse for me." I put the phone on speaker as I felt under Colby's neck. It was extremely slow, next I checked his breathing. Nothing. His chest was still, no rise or fall. "He's not breathing!" I said panicking. "Okay, do you know CPR?" 

"Yeah, yeah hang on." I knelt over Colby threading my fingers through each other and pressing them against his chest starting chest compression's. 1...2...3        28....29...30! I pressed my lips to his and pinched off his nose giving him rescue breaths. "Come one Colby, please breathe!" Corey said. Back to compression's then another mouth to mouth. I pulled away. "Come on Colby please," A tear ran down my face. Then, Colby's body shook as he took a shuddering breath. "Oh thank god, he's breathing again!" 

"Alright the ambulance is on it's way." The operator said.

We sat for 10 minutes before we could hear the sirens getting nearer. The ambulance was soon with us and they were quick to take Colby away. We followed in the car.

Time skip.

"So Colby has sustained quite a severe injury to his lambdoid suture, it's on the back left of the skull. He's had an MRI and we believe that there might be some long lasting damage. Because of where the fracture was and how bad it was there is a high chance of Colby developing epilepsy. Colby woke up for a couple minutes after the MRI and we did a couple tests which show that although he won't have amnesia or trouble remember people however, he may have some difficulties with everyday tasks. For example he can space out frequently and have moments where his mind goes blank. I'll write the information that you'll need down and you can take it with you. Colby is going to have to stay in the hospital for a couple more days but he should be able to leave by Friday."

I took a slow breath. Colby shouldn't have to go through this. I felt guilty although I wasn't sure why. Maybe because it was my idea to go the Griffith Park even when Colby had told me it was a bad idea. A) because it had been raining the night before and B) because he had a bad feeling. Colby often got these bad feelings. It wasn't just a gut instinct as it physically effected him. He would get headaches and get shaky even sometimes getting sick. We had learnt to trust these 'feelings' since the last few times had lead to Elton breaking his ankle, me breaking my back and Colby falling off of a roof. I ignored it though this time and this is where we ended up.

With Colby in hospital.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This is something I started and I tried to finish it but I gave up halfway.

Sorry I feel like I owed you at least something to read. 

I'm going to do an A/N and try to explain what's been going on.

 980 words

 love y'all

 - Colby O