Day six

Day six

Wednesday 

What I don't expect nor do I need is to see Camilla Gomez, clad in our school's uniform, stood a few feet away from me as I enter the waiting room of the ward Matty currently resides in. I'm alone, since Jake went off to find the toilets and then to get us coffee, too.

Automatically, I am agitated.

I wish to ignore her, pretend she isn't here and focus on the reason I am here, but my curiosity gets the better of me. My wonderings about why the ex-best friend of my boyfriend, someone who devoted her time in tearing him down for the sake of nothing, is stood in this waiting room, is revealed as I ask her, "What are you doing here?"

"I had a free period so came to see Matthew, of course," She responds, sweetly in lieu of bitterly as I expected. She's smiling slightly, evoking distaste in me. I want to tell her to wipe the sick beam off her face. She continues, "I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to go into the room,  since I think I have to have special permission, but I bought some flowers. I'm sorry it happened."

I scoff before repeating myself, unsatisfied with her answer, "What are you doing here?"

Her smile fades, only to be replaced by a look of disconcertment, "I just said."

"No, why are you here, like really?"

The agitation rushes through me, uneasiness rising in my stomach. I feel my patience declining, my feet shuffling for a few seconds, my hands clasping in on themselves. All I can think is: how dare she.

I know some people would find this sweet; after her and Matthew's differences, she still took the time to come and visit him while he's in such a state, showing a pinch of care. Yet, with my instinctive protection over Matty, knowing in detail how she treated him and how he made her feel, being the one who spent hours listening to him venting about it, I feel as if this is somewhat offensive.

She inclines towards me, "I don't understand."

"What the fuck don't you understand, Camilla?" I spit, my voice raising a little. She seems taken aback, like she had anticipated a 'thank you for coming, it means so much to me' and for me to feel completely different about her, as if it works that easily. "You haven't spoken to Matthew in months. You hardly give two shits about him. What are you trying to get out of this?"

"As if you give a shit about him," she snaps back, her façade breaking and the Camilla we've seen for the past year is uncovered.

"When have I ever not given a shit about him?" I question incredulously.

Camilla pulls a face, "The three years you bullied him, maybe?"

"Oh, so when you bullied him and told him that he was an attention seeking slut and then used his disorder against him, you gave a shit about him then? Nah. I think I've given more of a shit about him than you ever have."

"I think you're forgetting that he forgave me for that."

"Because that's who he is, he's a forgiving person, but he's still so hurt by what you did and him forgiving you doesn't make your actions any better. Him forgiving me doesn't make my actions any better but at least I've made the effort to make it up to him."