nine: mine

"That case was fucking brutal

"That case was fucking brutal."

You sigh, your back hitting the leather seat of the jet. "At least it's over."

Morgan raises his eyebrows. "The brutal ones stay with us for a while. I doubt we'll forget it anytime soon."

You and the team were on the way home, leaving Atlanta behind as a memory. The unsub had turned out to be a young man in his twenties, gay, but still in the closet. His parents had abused him and told him being gay was a sin, blah blah blah. All the usual homophobic shit. The arrest had been...sad. The boy had broken down, a crying mess, confused and conflicted about who is really was on the inside. Cases like these always broke your heart, a part of you empathizing with the unsub despite the brutal things he had done to people.

You look up, eyes landing on Prentiss. Because of the case, you hadn't gotten a chance to be alone with her and talk to her about you and Spencer. She hasn't told Hotch—a good sign.

Your eyes move to Spencer, reading, his back against the jet wall, legs crossed. He's deep in concentration, flipping through the pages quickly. Your gaze moves to his neck, looking at the purple scarf wrapped around it, hiding the fading hickeys marking his skin. You smile to yourself, looking back down at your hands.

The ride back home was silent, the team not really in the mood for talking. After the jet touches down in Quantico, the team piles out back into the bullpen for paperwork. You drop your go bag by your desk, plopping down in your chair. Spencer makes a beelines to the coffee pot.

You open the file, starting the process on the paperwork for the case. The sound of a cup being set on your desk makes you look up. You look at the cup of coffee in front of you, then at Spencer giving you a small smile.

"Thanks," you whisper, watching him turn around and sitting across from you in his desk.

You take a sip, smiling to yourself. Five sugars, no creamer. Just the way you like it. You glance back up at Spencer, the smile growing before looking back down to start the paperwork. You work quickly, tired, wanting to go home and have a drink. After finishing the paperwork, you slip it back into the file, then go drop it on Hotch's desk. He gives you a curt nod and you make your way back to your desk, grabbing your go bag. You give Spencer's shoulder a slight squeeze as you brush past his desk, exiting the BAU.

The brisk air hits you as you exit the building, and you breathe it in, the cold air almost freezing your lungs. The clacking of heels behind you on the pavement makes you stop, and you turn around, coming face to face with Prentiss.

"Hi," she says, a small smile on her face.

"I owe you an explanation." Your voice is neutral.

A look of confusion crosses her face. "No, you don't. You're right. It's your life. I shouldn't pry."

"No, Emily, I yelled at you. I'm sorry. That day...was particularly bad," you explain. "I think I just took it out on you."

"Well, I didn't really help, either," she says.