sixteen: belief

TW: mentions of drugs, mentions of drug abuse, NA meetings, mentions of suicide

Spencer follows you into the bullpen, you pushing the glass door open. Immediately, JJ, Morgan, and Prentiss' heads swivel toward the two of you. They had to have known the two of you were coming back today—you told Hotch last night. You look at Spencer, trying to gauge his reaction to the stares.

"Hi, guys," he says quietly, gripping the strap of his bag like his life depends on it.

"Hey, Spence," JJ says, walking over to him and giving him a hug.

He hugs her back, squeezing her for a moment before pulling away. JJ backs away, eyeing you. You ignore her stare, focusing instead on Prentiss and Morgan giving Spencer hugs and high-fives, speaking to him in quiet tones. After a second, you look back up at her, finding her still looking at you. Sighing, you walk over to her and grab her arm, dragging her away from the group.

"What are—"

"I'm sorry," you say, crossing your arms in front of you. "I'm sorry I blamed you for what happened with Spencer. I know it wasn't your idea to split up, it was his. I got caught up in the moment and emotions were high. So, I'm sorry."

She's quiet for a moment, her blue eyes looking into yours. "And what about what you said to us the other day?"

"I'm not sorry for that." You raise your eyebrows. "Because I was right. We should've been better friends to him. We all sat by and watched him get worse and none of us did anything about it or talked to him about it. I'm not sorry for saying that."

JJ clicks her tongue before sighing. "I know." Her voice is quiet. "We should've been better."

"Yeah, you should've," you accuse, tilting your head. "But it's done now. It's over. He's clean. I helped him when no one else did."

"Is that because you're such a good friend or because you're in love with him?" She asks, narrowing her eyes.

"My personal life is my personal life, JJ," you shoot back. "I'm not discussing it with you."

With that, you turn around, watching as Hotch emerges from his office. He looks at Spencer, a small smile on his face, before turning to you. He motions for you to come to him, and you tap Spencer's shoulder.

"Come on, Hotch needs to talk to us," you tell him.

He nods and walks behind you as you make your way up to Hotch's office. He puts his hand on the middle of your back, his thumb rubbing little circles into your shirt. His touch comforts you, and you relax slightly as the two of you walk through the threshold of Hotch's office.

"Please, sit."

Spencer shuts the door and the two of you sit in front of his desk. He sits down, clearing his throat as he pulls out two pieces of paper.