Chapter Nine

Kara was in as much shock as the next person but she was distracted when she noticed a grim looking Red Daughter standing a block away, ignored by everyone else. Red Daughter's face was scrunched as if she was in pain and she nearly fell over, groaning.

Kara rushed to her side without hesitation.

"No, no, no." She whispered when she struggled to hear Red Daughter's heart beat. She knew she shouldn't trust Lex or his associates but she felt guilty she ever doubted her anyways. Kara fought back tears when she thought back on how Lex and Lillian had used Red Daughter and brainwashed her into helping them when she never wanted any of that.

"Ho-how? How are you bleeding?" Kara noticed Red Daughter was clutching her side.

She looked around frantically to ask for help but no one seemed to notice. She knew Red Daughter couldn't be saved if she was losing so much blood so quickly but she desperately wanted to.

"Supergirl." Red Daughter said softly. "Thank you."

Kara had no idea why she was thanking her when she was dying. She shook her head and when she looked into her eyes, she remembered. During the fight with Reign, Red Daughter and Kara had been the only ones who noticed a glowing green rock. When the Worldkiller took aim at Kara and threw it at a hundred miles per hour, Red Daughter had pushed Kara to the side and she had been hit instead. Kara was so taken aback that she had just completely forgotten about it until now.

Red Daughter's breath was getting shallower by the minute. Kara pressed her hands on her wound, hoping to slow the blood flow but it continued to gush out.

"I'm sorry." Kara sniffled. "I'm so sorry."

Red Daughter didn't seem mad at all. It was as if she understood the good she had done when she turned her back on the Luthors. It was as if she knew Kara had forgiven her for everything she had done.

She opened her mouth as if she was about to accept Kara's apology for closure but she didn't have enough energy to move or talk.

Kara wiped her wet cheeks with her hand. She didn't know why she was crying so much for someone that she had deemed her enemy the day before but she suddenly felt a stronger connection between them.

"Thank you. Thank you for saving me." Kara said and watched as Red Daughter took in her words and smiled before taking her last breath.

At this point, everyone from the DEO was looking at her. She couldn't help but glare at the ones standing closest to her, wanting to blame Red Daughter's death on someone else, but she realized it was an honorable death that had saved her own life. Finally, she stood up to let them take her lifeless body away.

She walked back to Lena, who was still kneeling beside the mystery woman. She had just fully woken up and was terrified, having no idea what had just happened. Alex jumped when Kara put her hand on her shoulder. She didn't even notice her sister was gone.

Alex looked at her, about to ask where she had been, and saw her dark expression. She stopped herself and patted her sister's hand instead. She then slowly approached Lena and the mystery woman.

"Lena, we need to do a standard checkup on her. She needs medical attention after all that." Alex whispered into her ear, making sure the traumatized woman in front of her couldn't hear.

Lena nodded and somehow managed to convince the woman to follow her to a couple of doctors that were standing at the corner of the street. The woman just stared at her with wide eyes and walked as if she was in a trance.

Alex followed them and stood by as the professionals did a simple check up to make sure she wasn't hurt. Surprisingly, she wasn't even bruised.

Some National City civilians stared at the destroyed building that used to be the DEO but they were ushered out of the way by some DEO agents that acted like they were the police department.