Chapter Twenty Two

Kara made an excited yelp when she heard a knock on her door and put down a family sized pack of chips, licking her fingers. She nearly bounded towards the door and opened it with a blinding smile.

"Lena!" Kara exclaimed. "Come in!"

Lena gave her a warm smile and her hair brushed Kara's face when she walked into the apartment. Before she could step fully into the studio, Kara whipped her around and kissed her hard.

"What was that for?" Lena laughed when Kara finally pulled away, her eyebrows raised.

"Um, for the wine?" Kara joked, pointing at the expensive bottle of red Lena was holding.

"Darling, you don't even get drunk." Lena gave her a look and set the bottle down on the living room table.

"You're early." Kara noted, glancing at the clock. "Game night isn't supposed to start for another thirty minutes."

"Oh I know." Lena said calmly, plopping down onto the couch.

Kara watched as Lena poured herself a glass of wine. She sat down next to her, shaking her head. It was barely nine o'clock and Lena was already drinking. She slowly slid down until her head was resting on Lena's lap.

"What are you doing?" Lena asked, amused.

"I missed you," Kara said quietly, looking up at her with puppy eyes.

They hadn't seen each other in almost three days, both terribly busy with work. After taking Lillian into custody, Kara had spent two days straight with Lena, making sure her bullet wound was healing correctly. She took care of Lena even though she insisted she was fine, and Kara left everything to the rest of the team. Lena had begged for Kara to let her return to LCorp and she finally agreed on the third day, and they hadn't seen each other since.

"I missed you, too." Lena set her glass down onto the table.

Her fingers threaded themselves into Kara's blond hair and she absentmindedly twirled the curly strands, messing it up.

Lena had been trying to obsess over her work back at her company so that she wouldn't have to think about her mother. She knew Lillian deserved everything she got from Kara, maybe more, but she couldn't stop feeling guilty.

Kara must've noticed Lena biting her lip and she raised her head to kiss her on the cheek. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Lena locked her eyes with Kara's and her chest burned with a feeling of yearning when she saw how concerned Kara looked. She shook her head, dismissing it, and reached for her wine.

"Lena." Kara stopped her, her tone more serious.

"Nothing." Lena's eyes darted to the ground. "It's just... I feel bad."

Kara let out a sigh and wrapped an arm around Lena's shoulder. "Lillian doesn't deserve you. You shouldn't bind yourself to her, Lena. You're so much more than just a Luthor."

They both jumped when someone knocked on the door. When Kara opened it, she was tackled by a very enthusiastic Alex.

"God, we haven't had a game night in so long." Alex's brown eyes widened in excitement. "So I brought tons of food. Maggie will be here soon. She had to take care of a few things at work."

Kara stood there awkwardly, waiting for Alex to stop her ranting long enough to notice Lena sitting cross-legged on her couch.

"Lena!" Alex turned and finally noticed who was already here. Her expression changed about fifty times in a second, spanning from confusion to relief to see her on her feet.