one

1

1.

LEMON DRIZZLE
—————————

ITS OPENING DAY for sunshine sweets. it's opening day for sunshine sweets. it's opening day for sunshine sweets!

august nineteenth. the day i've been waiting for, for as long as i can remember. today is the first day of the rest of my life.

the day i open my very own bakery, where i'll get to finally meet paying costumers and watch them eat the food i made— the day all of my dreams come true.

ten minutes to opening and my heart's racing. it's not like i'm expecting a slew of costumers, only hoping for at least five by the end of the day. the people in washington are busy, each of them would already have their own regular place— to stop at to get coffee in the early morning rush, a favourite place to hang out with their group of friends on days off, a bakery they've known forever and will stay loyal to for just as long.

it's not that i don't know this, it's just— one day, hopefully, possibly, just maybe, sunshine sweets will be that place for someone, anyone.

that's the dream.

it took all of about ten minutes for the harsh reality of a job in costumer service to slap me round the face.

the relief and satisfaction of flipping the open/close sign my niece made has to be the best feeling in the world. suddenly it was real. my little bakery, officially open!

then there was nothing, for eight whole agonising minutes, nothing. the waiting is probably what put me on such high alert— that when the bell above the door finally did ring my head shot straight up and my eyes hyper focused on the door.

a lanky man, with glasses and long hair came speed walking in. my heart lurched in my chest— a customer! i could feel a warmth growing from my heart to my fingertips, a large smile spread across my face.

"hi! hello. what can i get you?" the excitement was obvious in my voice. but the customer barely registered the words.

"coffee, black— room for sugar." he was fiddling with his glasses and then the buckle of his satchel, then his glasses again, the man barely made eye contact.

thankfully, the coffee was already brewing and it took only a few seconds before i poured it into the custom pale yellow to-go-cups i bought on etsy.

then i spotted the complimentary lemon drizzle slices, the ones i had baked specifically to give to customers for free today.

"um, well," maybe i shouldn't ask him, i mean, he seems busy and in a rush—but then maybe it'll cheer him up! "do you want a slice of lemon drizzle?" my voice was soft, he went back to fiddling with his straps. "on the house." i added hopefully, only wanting my very first customer to like me.