0.5 NIGHTMARES

Seven years had passed since that horrific night and for some reason it still continued to haunt the girl. Every night she was plagued with nightmares. Every morning she'd wake covered in sweat the bags under her eyes a shade darker. Still the young girl continued to push through the day helping around base. She had switched between medical and being her mother's second in command, being the only person her mother fully trusted. One night sometime just before sunrise after a long night of nightmares the girl found herself wondering the base, eventually she made her way to the bar in the large cafeteria. The room was practically empty aside from the bartender, herself and a random pilot. Amara sat a few seats from the pilot inspecting him as she sat. He looked not far from her age, he had curly hair covered in dirt and a very dirty pilot suit hanging around his waist. She assumed he had just arrived back after a long mission hence why he would be the only other person at the bar at this time at night. She ordered herself a drink. While waiting she decided to strike up a conversation in hopes to get her mind off her own problems

"Long night?" She questioned. The boy looked in her direction. He inspected the girl as she once did to him noticing the dark bags under her eyes.

"Yeah. Any better luck?" The girl laughed as the bartender sat her drink in front of her. She took a quick sip before looking back at the pilot.

"Not much" The pilot laughed moving to sit beside the girl. He stuck his hand out toward the girl a large smile on his face.

"My names Poe Dameron." Amara shook the boys hand

"Amara" The girl took a few more sips of her drink as they sat in silence.

"I haven't been here long but I haven't seen you around. You new too?" Poe asked. Amara sat her drink on the bar fiddling with her fingers.

"No. I've been here my whole life" Amara answered giving the boy a tight lipped smile. Poe nodded at her response still confused on how he'd never seen her.

"How come I've never seen you?" Poe asked observing the girl as she continued to play with her fingers.

"I try not to draw to much attention to myself" Amara now regretted talking to the young pilot. Her hopes of distracting herself diminished as the conversation surrounded her. She began picking at the polish on her nails.

"So what's your family name?" Suddenly she could hear everything happening inside her body. Her heart thumped faster and her blood stooped cold. The polish on her nails became even more interesting. Poe watched intently as she avoided his gaze. Her eyes looked at everything but the boy and her head spun.

"Do you not know what a family name is?" Poe questioned trying to poke fun at the girl but only increasing her anxiety more. She swallowed sharply as she tried to find the words. She desperately wanted to distance herself from her family name and all the horrors it brought. Her mind raked through all the names she could possibly use but they all seemed to be able to be traced right back to her parents. Finally it clicked. A name that wasn't tied to her family but one she would cherish for the rest of her life.

"It's Storm" Her nerves seemed to disappear as the boy nodded accepting her answer.

"Ah, so you do know what a family name is" Poe laughed. Amara rolled her eyes.

"Yes I do. I'm just tired" Poe nodded once more as Amara took the last sip of her drink. Not wanting more but not wanting to face more nightmares the girl pushed the drink toward the bartender and stood from her seat.

"It was nice meeting you, Poe but I do believe it is time for me to leave." Amara made her way toward the exit as she heard foot steps follow. She turned down a hall heading for the common room but stopped as the foot steps grew closer. She turned and came face to face with Poe

"Are you following me?" She questioned. The boy stumbled over his words as he tried to make up a lie.

"Yes" He sighed loudly giving up

"Why?

"To see if you where alright. You seemed upset" Amara sighed turning around and walking. This time, Poe walked beside her.

"I'm not upset just frustrated. I hate when I can't sleep" The boy nodded as they entered the common room. Poe followed as Amara sat on one of the couch's

"Yeah me too. Especially after long missions" The two continued to talk. Their conversation drifting from not being able to sleep too their favorite plant. Soon the sun rose illuminating the room the sudden feeling of warmth sent a shiver down Amara's spine as she listened to Poe's story about one of his missions. They continued to talk till they heard voices fill the hall. Taking that as their que to prepare for the day they both stood from where they sat.

"Well I don't know about you but I should really go get ready. It was nice meeting you, Amara Storm" Amara smiled as she shook the boys hand once more.

"You too, Poe Dameron" They walked from the room parting ways. Amara made her way to her quarters. The door slid open as she entered.

"There you are" Amara jumped slightly at the voice. She looked up her eyes wide as she saw her mother sitting in a seat just by the edge of her bed.

"Mother, you scared me" She said as she laid her hand against her chest feeling her unsteady heart beat.

"I see that" Leia said as she stood. She stood before her daughter a stern look on her face

"Where have you been?" Amara walked around her mother and too her closet pulling out a new outfit

"I couldn't sleep, went over to the bar for a bit. Met a friend actually"

"Really? What's their name?"

"Poe Dameron" Amara shouted as she entered the bathroom closing the door behind her

"Ah, Dameron. He's a great pilot" She heard her mother answer as she changed.

"Hopefully he's an even better friend." Amara laughed at her mothers response as she exited the bathroom.

"You need some of them" Leia added as she watched her daughter slip her boots back on.

"Yeah cause that worked out so well before"

"Now I must go. I have a job to do." Amara said as she left her room leaving her mother behind.