3. Shop till you drop

Valentina

A few weeks passed since the Moralez clan decided to poach me as their new daughter-in-law. Constantly reminding myself of the goal, I played along. A part of it included keeping Maria happy. She found happiness in shopping.

Wedding shopping, to be more specific.

Maria had called dad a couple of times over the past week, enquiring about my likes and dislikes. She must be reluctant to talk to me after her son pulled an untouchability stunt at our first 'unofficial ceremony'.

Hijo de puta.

Maria seemed very excited. At least dad presumed it to be. My focus was on the plan so the lesser I mingled with the Moralez, the more beneficial it was for me. Yet, a shopping treat from the future mother-in-law wasn't a thing to be passed over either.

Trying on one dress after another, I landed on the one I'd wear to the gown fitting. Tiny sunflower design-laden, white summer dress was perfect for the stifling weather.

Dad waited at the bottom of the stairs, watching my descent. As a kid, he used to swing me up when I'd hop off the stairs and launch into his arms. I still remember his laughter resonating through our mansion, jovial as ever. There was never a day when the Ramirez mansion didn't liven up with the sounds of life thriving inside.

It all went sideways after mama's demise. Dad lost direction in life and his business.

One good thing emerged from all the pain he suffered. I took over and learnt the working of our cartel. Although women didn't get involved, dad's unstable mental state paved the way for me to handle our business. Devastated after losing the love of his life, he didn't bother with any rules, much less caring about what his daughter did.

We did well. We thrived. We were the largest exporter of ammunition around the world, yet stayed independent. That was till the greedy Moralez eyes fell upon us. Their kingdom wanted ours. As always, they got their way.

They coerced dad into giving up everything. His business and allies were let go a long time ago. I was the latest sweetener to the deal to ensure we had a say in the Syndicate.

A black SUV screeched outside, breaking my reverie. The driver opened the door for me, awaiting my entry. I sensed it was one of the Moralez customs, escorting the bride everywhere before her wedding.

Dad walked beside me, his eyebrows bridging together. "They are showering you with gifts," he gestured towards the car. "Trying to please you."

"They are getting in the habit of treating their future boss."

Boastful? Maybe, but who cared. These precious moments were all I had left. A few days of freedom before my wings would be clipped.

The drive to the bridal store was short and passed in silence.

Outside the shop's window, I peeked at the beautiful dresses that hung at every white corner of the place. It felt like a little piece of heaven. White heaven, if that was in fact its color.

A soft voice turned me on my feet. "I hope you found no trouble with the drive," Maria smoothened my rogue hair strands. "You look beautiful, as always."

All I could do was smile. Maria took my hand and walked us inside.

The shop looked posh, filled with expensive veils and tiaras. Looking around the crowd less place, I felt a knot of uneasiness pressing on my gut. Everything looked expensive. I couldn't even afford to breathe the air in the room. The boutique staff smiled at me, bringing us flutes of champagne.