33. Fallen and Failing

Valentina

I needed to get out. There was no way I was going to stay in that house after what Antonio did to me. I was his fucking wife but he decided to treat me like a street whore, holding onto me as if I was nothing to him.

He question still revved in my mind, fuming up my ability to see clearly. I knew dad wouldn't disclose our secret and there wasn't anyone else who knew about my participation than him. Even Elena's secret was still intact or else the whole house would have known about it.

Although I drove out, there had no destination in mind. There were not many people I had the previledge of visiting. To my luck, after our Spain's great escape, Nico made out safely. I dialed him up while driving. His didn't bother picking up.

When a rogue tear trickled down my cheek, I wondered if it was because of my decision to help Elena, to betray the family who loved me unconditionally or due to some dredged up feelings for Antonio.

The farmhouse where Nico was temporary sheltered came into view. It was arid with no signs of greenery anywhere for miles. My current state resonated with the place. I felt deserted too by my own people. Accelerating the last mile, I clutched onto the steering and dragged in deeper breaths to push away Antonio's thoughts. I failed miserably.

My heart thumped over my chest every time I recalled today's event. Antonio was ready to kill me, he almost had me. Why did he let me go? Why was there mercy for me?

My phone rang up and the sultry automated voice of in the announced, "Antonio calling." Rage fueled me as I pressed onto the red button, ending the call and the announcement. If Antonio wanted to talk, he better fucking respect me before thinking of mending ways with me.

I parked the car and trotted the last of the stairs at the entrance and walked in the house. Nico watched my stride but stayed silent, holding his chin resting over his knuckle.

"Whiskey?" he rattled the bottle and upon my nod, poured a generous one. "Ice?"

"Neat."

"Oh. That bad huh?" he said, hooded eyes watching me for a miniscule of a second before he stood up.

"It was either coming here or murdering someone. So ya, that bad." I scoffed at him.

Staying silent, he served himself before fetching another glass to serve. Back on the couch, Nicolas spread wide. I fell back on the rocking chair which with every pendulum moment of its, creaked up the wooden flood. Normally, the creaking board would have annoyed me but today, it was a soothing tone to silence the demons roaring inside my head.

I took a long, deep gulp letting the burn satiate the otherwise lit fire in my chest. Coating my mouth with another lighter sip, I placed the amber content on the table. The liquid danced in the crystal glass, taunting me to take it, consume it whole. I knew better than to be sloshed.

My ringtone annoyed me. Antonio. His name itself was enough to rile be up to empty the glass. I eased my burn with a hiss let out from between my teeth. He did the unforgivable. He promised to never harm me but broke it. He fucked up.

"Trouble with Antonio?" Nicolas sat up. His face turned small like a raisin. I waved my hand in the air, dismissing the issue. "If you came here to sit in silence, then you could have gone to meet Ramon uncle. He was worried for you."

"Why is that wife killer worried for me?" Anger spewed through my words. I was enraged at all the men in my life. Ramon lied to me, telling me the Moralez killed my mother. Antonio tried killing me in what fit of rage, I had no clue and Nicolas, the one who knew about Spain and the Moralez plan never even thought fit to warn me. "He sold me to the wolves. What does he want now? My life? Or yours?"