20. Welcome to Spain

Valentina

Wine spilled on the white Italian leather as the tires hit the tarmac. Thrown off my seat, I was held in position by a seatbelt. My wine, however, remained unprotected. As the jet taxied onto the port, an airhostess came to dab the red droplets off the seat.

Alejandro, who was sleeping on the seat adjacent to me continued his slumber. He made me think of those people my mother used to give examples about- ones who would sleep through riots. With the jerks fading away as the craft came to a halt, I felt my body temperature rise.

I wasn't coming down with sickness, it was nerves. As hard as it was to admit, I was scared to meet Santos Salazar. That man was mad and his reputation preceded him. Last night, Agustin told me about his ways of working in Spain.

Santos liked bleeding his betrayers to death. The stories of the madman, the way be butchered and bleed his men dry when they lost his consignment had my skin crawl into my clothing. I was scared of being captured and kept in captivity. Santos was capable of doing that and even more, just to take down Antonio.

I was the idiot who negotiated my way for a share in business, for a share in decision making. Woman don't work the cartel. I wanted to prove myself and everyone around by being the first of the lot to do so. What came with the duty were its challenges. Challenges like these, when I had to talk and be good to a madman.

Was I willing to take the risk?

A mechanical whirl made Al stir in his sleep. I patted his hand but he seemed to be in a deep slumber. When I dozed him with water, his body jerked. "Are we there yet?" he grunted, annoyed at my act. I nodded.

Outside lights huddled inside the mechanically lit area. Fresh warm smell of greenery fought its way inside against the air-conditioned air. As the craft opened up on the side, crinkling up its stairs, I saw a black Merc slowing in front of the craft.

I turned to Alejandro who leaned back on his seat and placed a finger on his lips, gesturing me to leave. We all had our roles to do. Mine was to get the contract, Al's was.. I don't know what his role was. Maybe, he merely came to accompany me back and the time I would be at the Salazar mansion, he might be using it judiciously to fuck a hostess.

"Bienvenido a españa," Santos walked out of his car and stood at the base of the stairs. Hoisting his hand ahead, he smiled as I descended.

"Gracias por tenerme," I took his hand.

Santos' face lit up like a Christmas tree. Probably, he was expecting me to shrug him off. If he had learnt anything from our last encounter, it was that he had trouble staying in his boundaries. The man was like a rogue carnivore, wanting to mark and expand his territory.

When we got in the car my eyes remained glued on the aircraft which which pulled its door to close. So much for Al being my bodyguard, my thoughts mocked me. Why did I believe his words about protecting me. Agustin would have done a better job, had he been here.  At least he wouldn't have tossed me to the hounds; the ones who were ready to devour me. I knew Santos' men were sniffing blood, watching me intently.

Although Santos followed me in another car, I knew it was all a ruse till we reached the mansion. A man like him, he would always get what he wanted or would take it forcefully. There was nobody to deny him. It was only Antonio, who could even try to match him in a spar, if they ever had one.

I never understood Antonio's rivalry with Santos. For me, they were both alphas of their own territory, trying to beat one another. I was the meat which got stuck in between them.

The mansion came to view, hindered by a huge fountain. The car turned around it, coming to a halt. Upon opening the door, Santos held up an umbrella for me. The sun was harsh, pricking on my exposed arm. The shade was a temporary respite both from the weather and the man. We walked into the cooler marble lobby and towards the room where Santos directed me. He stayed one step behind, his hand remained hovering on my back.