Chapter 4

"Maman, je suis avec des amis. Puis-je t'appeler demain?" Nora coated her lips with her favorite lipstick—red and bold, just like she was feeling after two strong vodka tonics.

"Oui oui, bien sûr. Amusez-vous ce soir et soyez en sécurité, d'accord?" Her mother said, her French accent sweeping over Nora like a warm blanket.

"I'm always safe, mama," Nora replied. Her mother huffed at Nora's use of English, but sent her a kiss over the phone anyway. "I'll call in the morning, but warning I will be very hungover."

"Nora," she sighed. "Ne buvez pas trop, s'il vous plaît."

"I never drink too much, Mama. I drink just enough. Maintenant je dois y aller. Je t'aime!" Nora ended the call, grabbed her jacket, and then re-entered the living room. Maddy, Taylor, and Lauren were sprawled out on the couches in fits of laughter over some joke, just where Nora had left them when her mother called. "A shot before we leave?"

"Yes!" Lauren said, bolting up off the couch. "But we need chaser, please. I'm not as young as I once was." Everyone laughed and Nora grabbed the bottle of Fresca from the fridge and the vodka from its spot in the freezer where she had placed it after the last round of drinks.

"I wish I spoke French," Taylor said, coming over to Nora and wrapping her arms around her waist as she poured the shots. "Or any language. You sound so...sophisticated."

"You're plenty sophisticated," Maddy said, taking her shot that Nora handed to her. "Have you seen yourself? You're fucking gorgeous, Tay."

"Shut up," Taylor giggled. Nora bumped her hip against Taylor's, and took joy from the smile reclaiming her friend's face.

"To Taylor's gorgeous face!" Nora said, raising her shot glass, and the rest of the girls joined her.

Harry had texted Nora at eight about the party and all he got in response was: "We'll see where the night takes us." It was eleven now and Harry was trying to hold back every fiber of himself that was screaming for him to text Nora, to see if she was coming. He was telling himself that was too much, she'd get freaked out, then she'd never come at all. But god did he want to see her. He was trying to entertain himself by mixing everyone drinks, an activity he usually loved because he got to guarantee no one was over served, decrease the possibility of someone's drink being spiked, and be at the center of attention, all at once. Tonight he had chosen it because he had a direct line of sight to the door, as well as the fact that he knew Nora would come get a drink when she arrived, so he would have an excuse to immediately talk to her. He had thought it all through.

Now all he needed was her to show up.

Which she did.

And Harry tried not to stare, because fuck she looked good. Her hair was pulled up in a ponytail, with some loose curls falling around her face, framing it. She was wearing all black, Harry saw when she took off her coat—a black crop top that swung low, the line between her breasts visible, and black denim jeans that hugged her in all the right places. When she got closer to him, searching for the bar, Harry saw she was wearing red lipstick which made her lips look even more kissable than usual.

"H." Nora was standing on the other side of the bar from him, her hands on the counter top and leaning slightly forward. Harry could see a bit more of her breasts and he thought he was going to explode. "Bartender now, are you?"

"What can I get you?" He asked, trying not to stare at her breasts but instead at her piercing blue eyes.

"I've been drinking vodka," she replied. "So something with that. And no juices."