Chapter 6

Weeks passed without more than a few words in class and it pained Nora, but she understood. When she'd woken up in his arms, him holding her close so her faced was smushed in the crook of his neck, she knew it was going to be a bad idea to let herself do this again. He'd barely returned his texts or replied to her in class, the smiles she adored were forgotten. She started avoiding the coffee shop where he worked and told Maddy she wasn't going back to DSig. He didn't want to be her fuck on the side anymore and she would respect that. She spent time with Leo in small doses, trying not to give too much to him, and when they had sex, she tried not to think of Harry. But it wasn't as good, it wasn't the same.

Leo introduced her to his friends and she struggled to stay interested in the conversation, her thoughts anywhere and elsewhere. When they studied together, she found herself on her phone stalking Harry's Instagram, wondering who the girls in the photo he'd just posted were. It came time to work on the second paper for the class she shared with Harry and she missed his insights into her outlines. Leo couldn't provide the same help and got frustrated when she didn't take his suggestions (which weren't good).

The trees changed colors and as she laid out on the lawns with a book, Nora wondered if Harry liked the Spring as much as she did. Maddy laid next to her with an iced coffee and her computer, working on an assignment for her GIS class, eyes flittering over to Nora every once and a while.

Finally, Nora heard her voice break the silence. "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing," Nora lied. She was thinking about Harry.

"Bullshit."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"So you're thinking about Harry," Maddy said. She closed her computer and laid her head on her forearms. "Spill."

Nora shut her book and sighed. She'd avoided talking about Harry with Maddy or any of her friends, never really telling them why it fizzled out. Just that it did and it was fine. Maddy had seen straight through her lies, but didn't push. "I miss him," she said simply.

"Then talk to him."

"He doesn't want me to."

"Valid," Maddy replied.

Nora whipped her head to her friend. "You're supposed to say he's stupid."

"Well, he's not," Maddy said. "He's got every reason to not want to talk to you—you started seeing another guy and then fucked him a week later."

"But..."

Maddy sighed. "If you tell me you were just fucking, I'll literally kill you."

"We were, though!"

"Nora, you're not stupid, so why are you acting like you are?" Nora narrowed her eyes at her best friend. How dare she?

"You're supposed to always be on my side, you know."

"I am. You just aren't thinking straight."

Nora rolled over and shoved her face into the blanket they'd brought with them. "What am I supposed to do then?"

After a beat, she heard Maddy's voice. "Do you like Leo?"

"He's fine."

"Fine." Maddy parroted Nora's word back to her and Nora grimed at how it souned. Bored, uninterested, which was exactly what she was most of the time. The interest she'd had in Leo had fizzled after the first two weeks, their conversations stalling, the desire dissolving.