Prologue: Extended

Asano feels detached. The moment he steps off the bridge, everything around him falls away. His body, his mind, the pain.

Everything falls away.

Along with him.

He doesn't remember the moment of impact. All he knows is that he opens his eyes, and the orange sunset casts down at him.

He's back on the bridge. And it's empty, except for one lone figure leaning against the railing.

Gakushu immediately takes in the other person. It's a habit for him. A product of both his hyper-vigilance and his father's teachings. Size them up, see if they're a threat. How much muscle, how tall, what's their facial expression. But when the figure turns, he freezes. His entire brain seizes to a stop.

It's face he's seen in a frame on his father's desk.

Ikeda.

————

Asano Gakushu didn't know what to expect when he jumped off the bridge. He thought it would all just end. The pain, the hurt. The sinking feeling of uselessness.

The abuse.

He did not expect to come face to face with the ghost of the same boy who jumped off this very bridge a decade ago.

"Hey, Asano Jr. Come on, take a seat. I've been waiting for you. Let's have a chat before I send you back." A bright faced Ikeda chirps.

Gakushu stares for a long time. This is absurd. Unreal. Is he really dead or just dreaming? Or are they the same thing? His mind is still for several moments. So it takes a while for him to comprehend the words.

When it does, he turns cold. Terror runs through his veins.

"Wait. Send me back?" Gakushu felt another crippling pang of fear run through him, "No. Please. Don't—I can't go back there—"

"One year ago. That's when it all started going downhill, for you, didn't it? I'm sending you back one year. And maybe you can save more lives than just yours."

Then another voice speaks up, echoing Gakushu's thoughts entirely, "Ikeda, I'm perfectly happy being dead. I've told you there's no need—"

Gakushu turns to see a yellow octopus. The Yellow Octopus. His mind can't take it anymore, and his legs give out. He sinks to his knees.

"Someone tell me. What the hell is going on?"

—————————-

After a brief introduction from the yellow octopus—Korosensei, the octopus man—explains his history as an assassin. Explains the experiments, the moon, and teaching. Everything makes his head spin. Finally, after a few sorrowful words, the man leaves.

Leaving only the two of them left on the bridge. And then, Ikeda explains himself.

"Do you believe in gods, Gakushu?" Ikeda stares off into the waters.

Gakushu raises an eyebrow, "No." Then his eyes go wide, "Hold up. You're a god?"

"What? Hell no." Ikeda snorts, "Me? As a god. That would be a disaster." The older teen takes a moment to pull himself together, "No. I'm just a powerful spirit. I'm attached to this bridge."

Gakushu stares at the bridge. It was rather narrow, with a small road and green, thin railings. Nothing special. But a lot of people jumped from it.

"Do all bridges have spirits or something?" Gakushu was confused. What in the world was going on.

"Maybe? I know as much as you do, since I can't leave this bridge. I just know that this bridge in particular grants me powers sometimes. God-Like powers."