Chapter 10: I Reach For Me But I'm Not There.

"He's here as a special instructor during the summer break. He'll give us advice regarding our strategy from a pro's point of view." Karasuma says, slightly amused at the way Irina jumps at seeing Lovro here.

Lovro scolds her for slacking off and tells her to change, before answering the questions of the students nearby.

"Are you worried about Class E's marksmanship?" Karasuma asks, a bit confused by the serious look in Lovro's eyes.

Then the man smirks, "No, rather the opposite. Especially those two. They're magnificent."

Karasuma follows Lovro's line of sight. It's Chiba and Hayami. Karasuma feels a small burst of pride that a world class assassin can appreciate his student's talent.

"Neither of them have very outspoken personalities, they're the type to let their results do the talking." Karsuma explains, noting both student's strengths.

"Hmm. It's enough to make me want them as my students." Lovro muses.

Karasuma ignores that part. Those two are definitely not interested in assassination. Although...

There is a pair who might be.

"There's actually these two students I need advice on. They should be here somewhere—" Then Karasuma's gaze falls upon the two boys standing off to the side, away from the rest of the students. Are they holding—wait—are those fools using real knives?

Karasuma is about to head over there when Lovro puts his arm out.

"Hold on a moment. They look like they know what they're doing."

Karasuma hesitates, when he notices that yes. They look far more confident than they should look holding those knives. He'd noticed right from the start that Asano has a suspicious amount of experience with them. He just attributed it to his father's insane talent. But Akabane...he'd noticed that his delinquent-like student was good with the training blades, but he'd never seen him like this.

He watches carefully as the two fight, moving so fast it would be hard for the untrained eye to follow. They swung and dodged fluidly, and so far, none of them have even nicked each other.

And then both knives clash together with a sharp, metallic noise—the blades are inches apart from both of their fingers.

Then Asano slides his leg behind Akabane's and clotheslines him with one hand, the other hand still holding his knife to Akabane's.

Akabane stumbles back, and Asano uses that opportunity to put his knife to Akabane's neck.

Both boys are panting, but their eyes glint and they're grinning.

"That one fights like an assassin and the red head fights like the street gangs do." Lovro speaks as if those words should hold more meaning than they do.

"I suppose they do, but Asano is learning to be an assassin so that's not unusual. And Karma has always been a delinquent."

Lovro shakes his head.

"No, Asano fights like he's been trained from an assassin. His style is very similar to the Reaper's. Scarily similar." Karasuma doesn't know who this Reaper is, but it doesn't sound good, "And the red head. Does he always wear that black cardigan?"

Karasuma blinks, "Why does it matter?"

"Ever heard of color gangs, Karasuma?" Is all Lovro says before walking off to confront the two.

And that's when it hits him.

Color gangs.

They were definitely popular in this part of town, especially with teenagers. Most of them were just groups of kids who went around fighting each other, so the police don't bother trying to stop them.