Chapter 8

After work, I had to take Aizawa back to his apartment, but since I was staying to look after him for a little bit, I decided to stop by my place to grab a few extra things. I was in the middle of grabbing more clothes from my closet when I saw a box sitting on the highest shelf in the back of my closet. Note, it's been a couple of months since I moved in, so there were still a few boxes left here and there that were still packed, but I didn't remember putting anything on the highest shelf of the closet. Mainly because I couldn't reach it. I stretched up to grab it; I ended up having to levitate a little to fully grasp the box. It was a little dusty but aside from that it was in good condition. I sat myself down with the box in front of me. It was probably one of the boxes I packed up but couldn't bring to the U.S. I'm surprised it was still here.

I decided to open it. I was automatically met with old memories of my days at U.A. There were goggles, an old polaroid camera, a photo album, video camera, and some old remnants of my old hero suit, amongst some other old stuff. I looked at the box and saw my handwriting, "The Rooftop Gang." I sighed. I remember now why this was left here. Some part of me wanted to look more into the box and visit memory lane, but I was hesitant about it. I didn't want to rehash old memories right now. But despite my mind telling me not to, my heart took the best of me and went straight to the scrapbook.

The first picture was the first picture I ever had taken when I was a teen. I was just sitting on the school rooftop next to Aizawa; we looked like we were talking about something that made little Mai excited and happy, which was a hard thing to come by at the time. Aizawa himself looked at peace, and there was a slight glow of joy in his eyes while he intently listened to me. I was so mad at Oboro for taking the picture.

"Hey, you said no digital documentation of you because of your family. This is a polaroid picture for just us to enjoy." The tall sky blue-haired boy lifted the camera above our heads as I tried my best to reach for it.

"That's not the point! I don't like taking pictures! And neither does Shota!" I helplessly climbed up his shoulder.

Hizashi ran up behind me, "Calm down, M&M! Your skirt is lifting, and we have to protect yours and Aizawa's innocence!" I can sense Aizawa glaring at the blond while he struggled to meet my movements and laughed, "Just because you think she's cute doesn't give you a right to see her so intimately. CONSENT IS IMPORTANT."

Oboro couldn't help but burst into a big fit of laughter, hugging his camera and the picture to his chest. "Aizawa being pervy is when pigs fly." He hunched over and wiped the tears from his eyes, "Alright, alright, I'm sorry for taking the picture, but you guys looked cute and candid pictures are honestly the best type of pictures." He gave me the photo and gave his signature grin, "See, you guys look so happy. I couldn't help myself."

I pouted as I glanced at the photo. I saw what he was talking about candid photos being the best. A golden light cascaded on us, giving a new shade to Aizawa's usual grey eyes that were like pools of what looked like a light blue-grey cloud. And I couldn't deny the warmness of the photo and the honey color in my eyes, emphasizing the giddy feeling that was showing in my smile as I spoke with him. I refused to let myself look happy with the photo, though, so as soon as I felt a small tug on my lips, I brought them back down. "I'll let it slide this once because it's a nice picture." I shoved him a little and huffed at his laugh, moving back to sit next to a blushing Aizawa. It was the first picture, and it quickly became my favorite one.

I smiled and teared up a little, remembering the picture's events, and flipped the page over to see what other candid photos Oboro continued to create. Eventually, I met with messing pages with pictures and news clippings or letters and notes that were not pasted into the book just yet. I found a news clipping of Oboro, Aizawa, Kayama, and I with the rest of the Purple Revolution Agency from our work-study. We looked so bright and proud; even Aizawa was able to give an awkwardly, nervous smile. I saw a tear fall on the book, and that was my cue to close it and go back to my original task. Who would've thought it would all go downhill after that? Certainly not me. I started packing up the book into the box and neatly packed the other stuff that was in it. Maybe I should keep the polaroid camera and video camera for future uses? I gave a little extra care to the old suit that hasn't been worn in over a decade. Why does this look like Aizawa's suit only tighter and with a cape? Why did no one tell me that I was practically dressing the same as him? My current suit was more fitting for me, anyway. I kept the cape look, but I switched the dark grey for white, and the black suit to a navy blue with gold accents in the belt and my armbands, which worked like a lasso if I wanted them to. It fit more my aesthetic as a bright and hopeful hero. I mainly took inspiration from All Might and his mentor Nana. However, looking at the old suit did feel oddly nostalgic. I wonder if I never left, would I have changed my suit still or would I have still looked like All Might and Aizawa had a lovechild? I let out a small chuckle. Probably not; I only changed it for my safety from All For One.