17

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

****************************************************************************************

He scrunched up his eyebrows in confusion. I sighed and sank down to the ground, him following suit, and told him everything about me. How my family and everyone at school despised me because of my eye colors and how different I was from my family. How my sister suddenly had a change of attitude towards me after our last birthday. How I was treated like I didn't belong. The things people said to me out of hatred. And how my mom threw me out of the house.

"Seriously? What's wrong with your eyes?"

Surprise filled my face as I watched his face carefully to see if he was joking.

"Haven't you noticed the color of my eyes?" I asked.

He gazed into my eyes closely. "It's green and... violet. Are those your real eye color or are you using contacts?"

"Real."

"Fascinating." He admitted. "And I repeat, what's wrong with your eyes?" He drawled.

I blinked in surprise, no one has ever reacted that way to me before. "I don't know. Growing up, people called me a freak because I had two different eye colors. They made me believe it wasn't normal. And they kept their distances from me, calling it a disease or something like that."

"Well I don't see anything wrong about it. It looks perfectly normal to me."

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "Really? You don't see me as a weird person with damaged eyeballs?"

He laughed slightly. "No. I don't. It's normal to have different eye colors. I believe it has a medical term but I don't remember the name right now."

"Huh." I murmured. Then why did all of them treat me that way?

He took my left hand and squeezed it. "Trust me, your eye color doesn't define you. It only shows how unique you are."

His statement made my heart flutter.

I was starting to rethink giving in to the comfort of the river. Someone actually liked me for who I was and didn't judge or hate me.

He stood up and brushed his back. "So what are you gonna do now?"

"Honestly, I have no idea." I sighed.

"So you have no where else to go?" I shook my head.

I watched as a frown enveloped his features. I could clearly see the wheels turning in his head as he stood there lost in thought.

"Your family is really foolish for throwing you out of your own house like that."He muttered.

I didn't reply him. What could I say, I totally agreed with him.

He pulled out his phone and checked the time. Putting it back in his pocket, he said, "Wait here. I will quickly run some errands and come back soon. Okay?"

I nodded my head and watched as he hurriedly left to town to do whatever.

True to his words, not more than fifteen minutes later, he came back with two shopping bags and gestured for me to follow him. I obliged and got up from where I was sitting, dusting myself before carrying my suitcase and following him.

We arrived at another part of town. He told me to stay close behind him so I wouldn't get lost. I didn't understand how I could possibly get lost because there was hardly anybody outside. It kind of reminded me of the suburbans except it didn't have all those grasses or cows and stuff that I've read in books. And the houses weren't too far from each other.

Few minutes later and we stood in front of a very cozy-looking house. He led me up the steps and rang the doorbell.

"Umm... where are we?" I asked nervously, finally speaking up. The door opened to reveal a friendly-looking woman in her forties who gave me a warm smile.

"Welcome to my house and your new home." He smiled.