(11.) Parental Advice

At some point you and Sean headed back to your tents for the night.

When Sean woke up again, you had already left to go hunting. You needed to scope out the grounds, see what the land was like.

Sean groggily walked to the main campfire where Hosea sat alone, humming an old song and sipping his coffee.

"Well, look at you," said Hosea, chuckling quietly.

"Ay, don't bother me. I've just woken up."

"I can tell," he laughed again. "Come sit and have a cup."

Sean sat down as Hosea poured him one and handed it to him.

"We missed you by the fire last night," said Hosea.

"Yeah, I know. Was talkin' to y/n by the dock and got carried away."

Hosea put his coffee down and leaned back on the log. "What was she doing by the dock?"

"She uhhh...she was upset 'bout somethin' but uh, wouldn't tell me what."

Hosea nodded, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his thighs. "From what Dutch has told me, her life wasn't easy before here. Isn't easy now. But maybe I can try to talk to her."

Sean's head perked up. "You'd do that?"

"Of course I would," he chuckled. "Nothing like young love."

"Who said I loved her?

"Spare me, Sean," said Hosea, standing up. "It's clear as day."

Sean watched him leave and turned his eyes back to the fire, watching it closely.

Sure, he'd thought about kissing you a few times. And you made his heart race when you talked to him. But that didn't mean he was in love, did it?

He stood up and grabbed a repeater from the camp and walked to the edge of Clemens Point, keeping guard duty.

***

Your daily hunt went well, and the land was perfect for hunting. Plenty of trees and deer.

You took the path leading from the coast into Clemens Point and hitched your horse, carrying your carcasses to Pearson.

"Another successful day, y/n."

"A very successful day," you smiled, placing it on his table. You turned to clean up by the river when Hosea stopped you.

"Y/n! How would you like to play a game of dominoes?"

"Oh, sure. Just let me go wash off the blood," you laughed, looking at your hands.

"Of course. I'll be at the table."

You cleaned yourself up and changed into cleaner clothes. You looked around for Sean but didn't spot him.

"Do you know how to play?" asked Hosea as you sat across from him, the game already set up.

"Vaguely," you responded. "Didn't have much time to practice."

He nodded, shuffling the pile and handing you your tiles. "So what's the city like, Saint Denis? I've heard it's the peak of civilization."

You scoffed. "Not at all."

Hosea placed the first domino and you followed with your move.

"Well, couldn't have been very good if running with us is an improvement."

You smiled, placing another domino. "Anything is better than before."

Hosea studied his pile for a move. "Dutch didn't tell me much about you and, I won't pry, but why did you leave home?"