(21.) One for the Other

Dutch lifted you off of his horse and you followed him into Shady Belle.

He stopped on the balcony of the second floor and watched as Hosea, Arthur, and Sean returned one by one.

"I have made a deal with Angelo Bronte," said Dutch, lighting a cigar.

"And it involves me?"

"We're going to do a trade, of sorts." He flicked the cigar and you watched the ashes float in the air.

"Whatever it is, I'll do it if it means that little Jack can come home," you said, pleading at Dutch with your eyes.

He nodded and turned to look directly at you. "It's not going to be easy."

"Nothing worth doing is easy, Dutch. You let me into this gang, now let me defend it."

He sighed. "I've convinced Angelo that you are a prisoner of ours. We're going to let him have you in exchange for taking Jack peacefully. As soon as he's out of the line of fire, we attack. Angelo isn't going to get ahold of you for very long."

"What about the police? They're everywhere—"

"Bill and Lenny will create a distraction a little further down to keep them at bay."

"And when are we going to pull this off?"

"Tomorrow night, so you best get some sleep soon," answered Dutch.

"What about the money?"

"Forget the money, for now, that...that kid needs to be rescued first."

You nodded tried to think of any other holes that could be in his idea, but came up with nothing.

You heard Sean's loud laugh coming from below and leaned over the railing to see what he'd found so funny.

Him and Charles were bickering with each other, and even though you weren't sure what they were saying, it looked like fun.

"How am I going to tell him?" you said quietly.

"Who? Sean?" asked Dutch. "You know how he is, always getting himself into trouble. I'm sure he'll understand."

"Yeah," you nodded and turned to open the porch doors.

It was late and you had no desire to tell Sean about Dutch's plan. You knew you would have to eventually, but it could wait until morning.

***

When you woke up, it was just before noon. You were usually up by the crack of dawn, so you weren't used to getting up this late.

After getting dressed and putting your arm in its sling, you walked out of the house and into the courtyard.

"There ya are, y/n!" Said Sean, coming from your right. "You sure slept in, eh?"

He was smiling with such joy at the sight of you that it broke your heart. This job wasn't going to be easy, and you knew he would be upset about it.

"Yeah, I...can we, um, go talk for a bit?" You said shakily.

"Yeah, yeah," he said, his smile faltering. "Is everythin' okay?"

You nodded solemnly. "Just...come on."

You took Sean on a path behind the house and turned to him. "Dutch has a plan to recover Jack," you said quickly.

"Then why do ya look so worried?"

"Because...Dutch is doing a trade-off, of sorts."

"A trade-off? You mean, like you for Jack? Are you crazy?!"