(15.) Them Dirty O'Driscolls

You woke up to the sound of birds chirping loudly outside of your tent. You groggily climbed out of your tent and packed up camp. You didn't want to stay out any longer than you had to.

"Sleep well, (h/n)?" You smiled, stroking her mane.

You climbed onto her and rode back to camp, periodically checking behind you to make sure no one was following you.

You hunted some small game for Pearson before striding into camp.

You passed Sean on the way in, his eyes relaxing at the sight of you before he looked away. You felt really bad about the other night but you weren't sure how to approach him.

Dutch lifted his head from his plans as you walked into camp, handing Pearson whatever meat you had.

"Ah, the wanderer returns," said Dutch, standing up to meet you in the middle of camp.

You nodded, smiling as Micah and Arthur stood by his side.

"I'm starting to think recruiting you was a good idea. You're really proving yourself to be a true outlaw," he chuckled.

"Thank you," you said, pride overwhelming your senses. You craved Dutch's praise; no one had ever said things like that to you.

"Of course. Now, Pearson said that Colm O'Driscoll, you know, the leader of the O' Driscolls? He said that Colm wants a Parley."

"A what?"

"A truce, of sorts," Pearson said, crossing his arms as he approached the two of you.

You nodded, watching Dutch's expressions. "You need me as lookout?"

"Precisely. I don't trust Colm one bit, so I don't want you on the front lines. But you and Arthur will keep watch from the cliffs."

"Doesn't this seem a bit...suspicious?" You asked, looking at Arthur. He was definitely the most reasonable of the three.

"Yes," he said hesitantly, looking to Dutch. But it could stop a lot of bloodshed. Dutch and Micah will be on the ground."

You gave them a quick nod, following them to where the horses were hitched.

Micah and Dutch trotted together ahead while you and Arthur kept back a few yards.

"Sean was real worried 'bout you last night," he said, teasing you.

You sighed, smiling at him sadly. "I'm sure."

"He was, you know the kid spills his feelings like a waterfall."

"He doesn't do that to me."

Arthur sighed. "You okay? You seem like somethin's botherin' you."

"I think Sean's mad at me," you said, looking forward. "We had a bit of a fight. He said some things, I got angry...I just ain't sure how to say I'm sorry, and I'm worried that he ain't ready to forgive me."

Arthur chuckled. "He loves you, y/n. Just apologize."

"He don't...it's not like that, Arthur."

He shook his head, still smiling.

"We'll go up this path here!" Called Dutch from the front.

You followed him and Micah up the trail, ascending the tall hill. You scouted the top, looking for the perfect places to keep watch.

You could already see a few men gathered around together in the grasslands below. Micah followed Dutch back down the path and headed towards the group of men.