Chapter One

We jump off the train. It lead us out of the wall. It is a bit scary but I have those important to me. We walk to the main building for Amity. The others go in while Caleb and I talk.

"We can't be together," I state. "I love you, but my brother's need comes first to me."

"And my sister is in love with your brother," he finishes. "But we could be friends Victoria."

"It'll be tough," I state. He nods his head. The others come out with the leader of Amity, Johanna. Her brown
hair covers her scar and she has gray eyes.

"It'll be put to a vote," she informs me. I nod my head and follow her to the main hall. Amity people come and sit everywhere.

"One shall give us a speech," Johanna states. I stand up.

"We are looking for not a place to set up base," l say. "But a place to stay. A war is going on and we need to be safe. Especially those that are Divergent. For we, and yes I said we, as in I'm a Divergent, are being hunted. Along with Abnegation. Amity are the ones that we should be able to go to. For you are the ones of kindness. The ones we need to help us. In this time when everything is corrupted. And I hope you can see it in your hearts to help us."

"Let's discuss this," Johanna says. Everyone except us and some Abnegations that made it out of the shooting. I watch as they finally come to a vote.

"The answer is yes as long as there are no weapons and you all do some work," an older man says.

"Understood," Tobias replies. Liar. We are sent to our own cabins. I slip my gun in between the mattress and bed frame. Someone knocks on my door.

"Come in," I shout. Tobias walks in.

"How are you doing?" he asks.

"I could ask you the same." We laugh.

"I'm sorry," he mumbles.

"The great Tobias Eaton is apologizing," I joke around. "Oh. My. Gosh."

"Well then," he replies. "At least you can joke around."

"Oh come on," I say. "What are you sorry for?"

"That I didn't stay there to protect you," he informs me. He pulls me in a hug. I pull away.

"I would have left Abnegation anyway," I explain. "I always wanted to push myself to the limit and do something for myself."

"But you still help others," he says. "And you're kind, brave, and smart. That's what makes you special Victoria."

"Yeah. Yeah," I reply
"Yeah did you say you're Divergent?"

I lay back and don't answer. I don't have to explain myself. Tobias gets up and leave. I close my eyes and fall asleep.