Chapter Eight

"Don't you try that 'I'm the bad guy' act with me," I shout at Peter.

"It's not an act, it's the truth," he shouts back. We've been at each other's throats since we got here. We're in my old room arguing. Great.

"Then why did you save us."

"I owed you guys."

"No. If that was true then that debt was paid when you let the group free from the treaty meeting."

"How did you..."

"I'm not an idiot."

"I never..." I throw a pillow at him.

"GET OUT OF MY ROOM BEFORE I THROW SOMETHING ELSE THAT WILL HURT." He leaves my room with his hands up. I sit on my bed and rest my face in my hands. I'm turning into my father. Someone knocks on my door. I look up

"Who is it?" I mumble. My mom walks in and sits next to me.

"Hey," she says. "Are you okay?"

"No," I reply. "Why can't people just stop acting like a idiot?"

"Who?" She asks. "You or Peter? Or your brother?"

"Everyone," I blurt out. Tears form in my eyes. I wipe them away. Why does Peter affect me so much?

"Your brother is looking out for everyone," she informs me. "Peter thinks he's not worthy."

"Not worthy of what?"

"You."

"What?"

"He likes you," my mom says. "And he knows he's done terrible things, so he thinks he's not worthy of you. But is he?"

"I don't know," I answer honestly.

"He's done good things too," Mom points out. "He set you free when you were arrested the first time. He saved Tobias and others. And he saved all three of you. And that is what I know of."

"I know," I say. "Wait. It was Peter that got rid of the handcuffs?"

She nods her head. And how does my mom know what happened to me or how I feel before I know? She walks out leaving me here alone. I lay back and close my eyes. It was Peter all along. I can't believe it. Or maybe I can. I get up and head to the bathroom. I wash my hands and splash water on my face. I undo my hair and braid it to the side. I walk out and run, literally run, into Tobias.

"Sorry," I mumble.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yeah," I lie. Queen of lying. "Just a disagreement."

Tobias nods and walks off. I head back in my room and change into a red shirt and black jeans. I put on and tie my combat boots. I head down stairs. It is morning, so let's make the most of today. I walk down stairs. Everyone is in the living room laughing.

"And how do they have children?" Tobias asks.

"It's forced," Zeke, Uriah's older brother and Tobias' best friend, jokes around.

"Okay," I say sarcastically as I sit on the ground across from the rest. "And Erudite is all high in mighty."

We all start laughing. I smile as just blend in. We're for once not decided into factions. We're equal. We're one group fighting for the same thing. Not ignoring each other because of a choice we made. This is how it should be.

Ed walks in. Every time I see him, I regret not stopping Peter from stabbing him in the eye.

"We'll attack tomorrow," he states, pulling me out of my thoughts.