My Friend, My Beloved

The first thing that he saw when Wang So opened his eyes that morning was the face of his beloved, Hae Soo. The shallow and steady breath of Hae Soo could be heard amidst the silent bedroom that morning. It was the most beautiful sound Wang So could ever hope to be greeted when he just awoke from his slumber.

How long had he dreamt that this thing would happen?

How long had he endured to be awake and found that he was alone?

How long had he longed for this moment?

His right arm was rather asleep because of the sleeping position he was in at the moment. For the entire night, he was sleeping while hugging Hae Soo till morning. But it was also proof that all of the things that happened right now weren't just his imagination. The pain was worthy.

He pulled Hae Soo closer and practically glued her to his body. The warmth of Hae Soo's body... The sweet fragrance that came from her body... The steady rhythm of Hae Soo's breathe... Wang So could never ask for more and hoped that this could be the first thing that would always greet him when he woke every morning.

Wang So's heart was slowly filled with blissful feelings that he hadn't felt for a very long time.

"Pyeha..." Wang So heard Hae Soo's muffled voice. "Could you loosen the hug a bit? You're hugging a bit too tight. I can't breathe."

Wang So loosened his tight and pulled Hae Soo to see her properly. Her eyes were fluttering before she opened and stared directly at Wang So. "Morning."

"Morning," said Wang So softly and he leaned to kiss Hae Soo's lips softly. "How was your sleep?"

"It's the most restful sleep I've ever had for many months." A small smile adorned Hae Soo's face. "I even dreamt about you, me, and Seol going to the lake that we used to go to, the one that was your hiding place before. We also had once rowed on the boat there. Do you remember?"

"Yeah, I remember," replied Wang So. "Do you want to go there again? I'll take you and Seol there if that's what you wish for."

"If only I could go-"

"You can."

"I-"

"Don't argue."

They both stared at each other in silence, neither wanting to yield. Hae Soo turned her body and looked to the other side. A moment passed before Wang So broke the silence. "Soo..."

Hae Soo sighed. "We had this talk yesterday. And I wanted to believe that you have fully understood the situation."

"Soo... can we not talk about this thing in the morning?" implored Wang So while placing his free hand on Hae Soo's shoulder.

"Pyeha... can I ask you one question? And please be honest with me."

"What?"

"What will you do after I die?"

Hae Soo's question had completely caught Wang So off guard. What would he do after she... died? He was still struggling to accept the fact that Hae Soo would go at any moment. How could he even think of something that was beyond that?

Wang So didn't answer Hae Soo's question. The answer he could only give was silence. Hae Soo waited patiently while she could also feel the inner struggle within his beloved from his grip on her shoulder that was tightening slowly as time went by. She reached Wang So's hand on her shoulder and squeezed it before she turned back to face him. She caressed his cheek with her thumb, tried to soothe the struggle that she knew was choking him up.