Chapter fourteen; returning;

It would be a week before Asteria could walk on her own, but in that week, she sat with the Trio as they told her what they were doing. Hunting Horcuxes and hiding in woods and dangerously attempting to destroy them as well. They'd known of two that had been destroyed, a diary from their second year and a ring that Albus destroyed before he'd died. They'd destroyed one just before being captured by the Snatchers, and taken to Malfoy Manor. Asteria and Draco has both shuddered as they recounted their time there, the death of Dobby and Pettigrew had shocked Asteria, but she took it in stride, feeling her heart break as they told her how her mother had attempted to assist them, without putting herself in danger.

But soon the trio vanished from the cottage to return on their hunt, and she had stood on shaky legs as she'd watched them leave, a worried frown settling on her face. Draco had returned to his own job, meticulously disabling the Snatchers and Death Eaters so the Twins could tell the world where was safe to hide. She didn't judge her brother, especially after he told her what had happened with Yaxley, oblivating them didn't seem to hold, it was the best option to take some of Voldemort's forces out of the battle.

She had gotten a new wand from Ollivander, she had barely even mentioned it, when he summoned one from his shop and handed to her with a wink. She'd sat on the front porch testing the new wand, it was different from her old one, stronger and her magic seemed to be even more powerful then before and she had to readjust her force when using simple spells.

But when darkness fell, and she was left alone to her thoughts, Draco and Charlie sleeping peacefully on two transfigured couches, a distorted voice would replay her own prophecy and her mind would wonder to the Slytherin's tomb under the school. She'd wonder what it would all mean, how it would play out in the final battle that she had accepted would happen at Hogwarts. Maybe someway she could use the chamber.

——

By the end of February, Asteria was back on her feet, having been declared healthy by a trusted Healer friend of Bill's. She had begun gaining some weight back, no longer looking like bones. And she had taken to jogging at night along the shore edge, hoping to regain some of her lean muscle-tone. She'd begun dueling practice with Charlie and Draco, testing her new wand, and her sanity. To see if she could even handle having various spells thrown at her. While her captivity had been an attempt at breaking her mind and body, neither of those things had actually happened, and she had pushed the memories of the incident into the back of her mind, focusing on the current circumstances. She knew that it wouldn't last, she'd have to face the memories at some point, but she favored being battle ready until it was over.

Charlie found her one night, while Draco was out hunting Snatchers, sitting in the large chair on the porch. She taken to sitting out there, staring at the ocean, listening to the waves, and he sat next to her, afraid to speak.

"I need to fight, Charlie." She whispered, she'd seen his apprehension as she had begun retraining her body and magic.

"I know, Sia." He responded with a heavy sigh, leaning in his chair. "Doesn't mean I have to like it."

"I can't leave those children to fight alone, especially Harry and Draco." She added, almost like she hadn't heard him. "They are still kids, Charlie and they've taken so much on. Draco was right that day, about Albus."

"I know he was."

"I was angry with Albus constantly, I knew that he'd end up leaving this to Harry, putting it on his shoulders, when the boy should be focused on school, his future and love, he's been lacking it for so long." She whispered, her voice full of sadness.

"I know."

"I'm going to start helping Draco, taking out Snatchers and Death Eaters before the final battle happens."

"I figured, love." He responded in a supportive voice, but he still seemed sad. She looked at him, grey eyes searching blue ones.

"I know you are worried." She whispered, but he smiled at her.

"I am, but only because I want you to be safe. But I also know you, and you wouldn't be Sia if you hid from this all." He grasped her hand as he spoke, and kissed the back of it. "I love you." He whispered against her skin, and her heart jumped, her eyes wide as she looked at him.

"I love you too, Charlie." She responded softly and he smiled at her. He stood, helping her to her feet, as he pulled her into his arms.

"Let's go get some sleep, before you begin your Snatcher hunt. Draco should be returning soon." He whispered, and they returned to her room, curling into the bed together. Letting sleep take them.

It would be an hour later when Draco returned. Finding the two fast asleep in her bed, using his wand he summoned a wizard camera, and snapped a picture, permanently saving the sight of them, and their small smiles. The love in the midst of war.