He Still Chose Her

I burst into the club room from the hallway, clutching my poem, the second part, to tell him how I really feel.

He glanced in my direction, giving me a warm, welcoming smile,

My heart fluttered, making me lose focus,

That's where I went wrong,

He turned away, looking at something else,

Confused, I look around,

But my retinas are still burned, I can't see colour,

I frantically swipe through the abys, trying to find that feeling,

But I can only do one thing,

Swallowing my fears, I brandish my pen.

"It's time to share our poems!" I call out, my voice ringing out through the room.

MC looks around the room, still searching for something lost, something he couldn't get back. Instead, he wanders aimlessly over to Natsuki.

Why, when he could have Yuri, did he choose her? What does she have that Yuri doesn't? What does she have that I don't?

I share my poem with Yuri while I wait. She quickly reads over the page. A confused look covers her face.

"This poem feels, how do I put this, incomplete. Like there was another piece before it."

I smile confidently.

"No, this is it," I say, looking directly into her eyes. She seems flustered.

"O-oh! I didn't mean it like that! I'm sorry if it came across as rude," She said, hiding her face in her hands.

"No, it's alright Yuri, you didn't do anything wrong."

She smiles at me through her hands.

I glance back over at MC and Natsuki. MC has finished with Natsuki and seems to be looking at Yuri and I, as if wondering who he will share with next.

He goes to Yuri.

I sigh, wondering how I could let myself hope that. He probably hates me.

He did make his poem equally Yuri and Natsuki after all. The game automatically defaults to Natsuki when you do that, and he must have enjoyed her company, even through her constant talk of how her Father abuses her. That's why I didn't mess with her code. She has to go home every day to a drunken mess of a dad, try to care for him and herself, only to get beaten and hurt in return. She comes to school every day with her uniform wrong so that she  can hide the bruises covering her small body. She comes to school malnourished because her dad doesn't leave food in the house. Every now and then, she can scrounge enough money to buy something from the vending machine. Because she has to live with that, I could never bring myself to harm her in any way, even if she isn't real. She's still my friend.

But in that moment, I decided I had to do something. Because Natsuki was a threat. And I couldn't let it escelate as much as I did with Sayori.