Reasons, Reasons, Reasons

Linda walked me to the infirmary room, sitting me down in the chair beside Keith's bedside. He was still unconscious.

"I apologize for my brother's actions. He can be a little careless sometimes. You have to excuse him-" Linda started.

"I don't have to excuse him for anything." I cut her off, and she just pursed her lips.

"Just give him a chance, he has-"

"His reasons, right. Well I have my reasons as to why I don't want to have him as a mate, just as he has his reasons for not wanting me as his mate." I interrupted her again.

"You must understand-"

"I don't need to understand anything except the fact that I'm going to be executed tomorrow just because I was perfecting my pack and trying to get rid of an enemy. I can only ask of you, that you get Keith and Mason out of here before tomorrow comes. I am begging you." I pleaded to her.

She stared at me for a long time before looking down at her hands.

"I'll see what I can do." She gave me a small smile but it didn't reach her eyes.

"I'm sorry that my brother was like this. I wish you could have met him during the time he wasn't like this. He used to be a lot better, you know? He used to smile and act like a brother was supposed to. You're not the only one who suffers." She looked at me, a broken look on her face.

I gave her a sympathetic look. She had to have a brother who acted as a stranger towards her. She probably felt shut out and alone most of time. All because of his reasons.

"Why do you put up with him and the way he treats people, especially you?" I asked her quietly and she walks over with a bandage in her hand.

She takes my hand carefully and binds it before answering my question.

"I told you he has his reasons. Very good reasons, but I just wish he wouldn't shut me out. Out of all people he chose to shut me out and I feel like I don't know him anymore. He and I used to be so close but I guess this is how he copes with his pain." She shrugged half heartedly.

"He takes his pain out on innocent people. That is no where near good. I don't care if that's how he copes with his pain, he needs to find another way because he's hurting too many people that don't deserve to have the fate he is giving them." I explained firmly.

As bad as it hurt that my mate had rejected me, I still needed to push past the pain and look at how other people were still being effected by Erique.

"I know what you're saying. But it's extremely hard for me to get through to him. He just sees me as another person in the world who he can throw his anger out on. I'll try, though." She promised.

I took her hand with my good one and gave it a squeeze.

"I'm sorry." I told her.

And I was. I was sorry for everything that Erique had put her through. I was sorry for the pain he caused her and everyone else in the world. As much as it hurt to say it, Erique needed to be put to an end. He was to hate-filled, merciless, and uncaring towards people. He only thought of himself and what would satisfy his own needs-not anyone else's.

She gave a weak smile, finishing the wrappings on my hand.

"That should stay on for a while-" She started before she suddenly stopped.

I knew she just remembered that my execution was tomorrow.

"Until tomorrow." She said in a clipped voice.

"I will try talking to my brother about your...your execution, but I can't promise I will be able to make a difference in his decision." Linda told me.

"I understand. There isn't much anyone can do. I will just take this punishment. I believe I have deserved it. I have failed my myself, my family, my pack, and the moon goddess. This is fate, my journey has come to an end." I assured her.

"I really will try to talk him out of his decision. You are not ready to die. You're too young. You must understand that people make mistakes." She replied and then she swiftly walked out of the room.

I say there quietly, fiddling with my hands in my lap.

"You know you should stop beating yourself up? The woman is right, people make mistakes." Keith's voice sounded scratchy and was barely above a whisper but it was enough to make my head shoot up in surprise.

"Keith!" I launched myself at him, hugging him tight.

He coughed roughly and I loosened my grip on him before he wrapped his arms loosely around me.

"I'm so sorry I got you into this mess." I apologized to him.

"It's alright, Dani." He whispered.

I pulled away from him and gave him a smile, pushing all of my thoughts away and focusing on an injured pack mate and friend of mine.

"Did the others make it out safely?" He asked.

I nodded.

"From what I know of. None of them have been brought back, so I can only expect that they made it back to the pack house." I told him quietly, thinking how my father was going to react when he found out, if he hadn't already.

So much for just focusing on Keith.

Hey guy! I'm terribly sorry for not updating for so long:( school has been exhausting and I just haven't had time. here is a chapter for you! Vote and comment!