Chapter 2 | what to do

----------------> CALISSA POTTER WASN'T QUITE FOND of talking to ghosts or spirits

----------------> CALISSA POTTER WASN'T QUITE FOND of talking to ghosts or spirits. While the ability had a plethora of glaring cons, a common characteristic that united all the undead was their extreme tendency to gossip and subsequently, be nosy. 

When she had been younger, she didn't know that she could choose when and when not to see ghosts and spirits (the latter fact caused a breath of relief to escape her mouth because seeing dead people every waking moment of the day and at every place-- including while she was in the bathroom-- was exhausting and scary); but now that she did, she preferred to use that particular talent of hers only when she wished to talk to one of her family members or an academic.

Somewhere along the way, she realised that she could just revive the previous necromancers and ask them questions, but upon realising that all the seven men had died very young --in their late twenties-- and had not entirely discovered their ability fully themselves, she stopped calling on them, only choosing to do so occasionally.

But at other times, Calissa enjoyed speaking to the ghosts and spirits of writers and proficient magic users. Her conversations with muggle author Jane Austen were refreshingly beautiful while her opinions on magic tended to clash much with the likes of Rowena Ravenclaw.

Either way, she had a blast.

One of the downsides of speaking with ghosts and spirits, however, was that it tended to use up a lot of her energy, and an hour-long conversation with a single spirit left her in sweats and pants. Ghosts were a bit easier, as it took about three hours for her to reach the level of exhaustion that she felt with spirits after summoning them. But it was tiring, nevertheless.

The pros outweighed the cons, however.

For example, while spirits minded their businesses, ghosts were horrible gossips; and by speaking to one ghost for less than ten minutes, she could know all the important events that had taken place during the time she had last spoken to them.

While having an otherwise pleasant conversation with Helena Ravenclaw (the two of them bonded over the stubborn unyieldingness of her mother), she was enlightened with rather disturbing news.

"What do you mean my name came out of the Goblet of Fire?!" Calissa asked; her pretty face a mixture of shock, confusion, disbelief and bewilderedness. "I didn't enter."

"I never said you did." Helena shrugged. "All I said was that your name came out of the Goblet of Fire, which means you are obligated to participate in the tournament."

"I didn't enter," Calissa repeated. "I have no interest in silly little tournaments. So, I refuse to take part in it."

"You'll lose your magic if you do so," Helena said. "The Goblet of Fire was enchanted by your great lady herself. If it spat out your name, it means that you will participate. You have no choice in this matter because I honestly doubt it cares on whether or not you wanted to."