Chapter 11 | and so certain events occur

------------------> SOFIA STIRRED THE POTION twice in the anti-clockwise direction, thrice in the clockwise direction and repeated the process, humming the tune of a french lullaby under her breath

------------------> SOFIA STIRRED THE POTION twice in the anti-clockwise direction, thrice in the clockwise direction and repeated the process, humming the tune of a french lullaby under her breath. Hermione, her partner, kept shooting her odd glances every few moments while the Potion professor, a greasy-haired man named Snape, hovered behind her, watching her moves with keen, narrowed eyes, but Sofia paid no mind to that. She had spent centuries living under the same room as Grace, who would bring a trail of her dangerous pets along with her. Hardly anything bothered or crept her out anymore.

When Sofia reached to add the black rose petals, the Professor's droning voice cut through the air. "Mr Longbottom, why are you adding black rose petals so early in the potion stages? Do you wish to splatter the contents of your potion everywhere?" He sneered.

By now, Sofia had understood that Professor Snape was not a pleasant man and that her previous sentiment regarding teachers hating children had been corrected. However, this Professor on a bad day was a bundle of happiness compared to Hera's turbulent mood swings on a good day. Hence, once again, she was unfettered by his comments.

"I added rose water to my foundation to smoothen the consistency of the potion. So, I added a portion of the petals at this stage to stabilize it and will add the rest later." Sofia explained placidly.

Hermione tossed her a warning glare from the corner of her eyes for a reason Sofia couldn't comprehend.

"Is that so, Mr Longbottom?" Professor Snape said quietly. "It seems that you consider your potion skills to be greater than mine even. I truly hope, for your sake at least, that it translates into results."

Sofia adorned a close-lipped smile, not turning towards him as she answered, "It will."

"You seem confident." Professor Snape noted with rings of amusement as if expecting her to fail.

It irked Sofia.

His scrutinising, disbelieving, amused tone invited many unpleasant memories into her mind, of all those in her wonderful childhood who had marginalised her because of her gender, who had instructions on what she should and should not do, what she —as a girl— was allowed to learn.

Truth be told, Sofia adored handicrafts. She liked knitting, weaving, spinning, cooking and baking; but it was that fact that she hadn't been given a choice to learn anything else as a child that had raised feelings of anger and frustration. She enjoyed the arts. She only wished that back then, she had been presented the opportunity to choose it instead of being told that she couldn't learn anything else but that.

"Of course I am confident," Sofia replied coolly. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Professor Snape didn't respond but from the reflection of her silver cauldron, she could see him smirking. Sofia clenched her jaw but didn't remark on his behaviour, which was unfitting for someone in the teaching position who was supposed to support and encourage students. Rather, Sofia concentrated on her potion.