Chapter 38

Read at own risk. Have a nice read.

The team watched the fight commence with fascinated horror. Fascination because Dick was fighting with a brutality he hadn't shown them before. Horror because Dick and the other assassin were breaking bones and not hesitating to aim for killing shots. The other assassin had passed out from the bone shattering blow to the knee from Dick. Each time the two actively fighting passed the unconscious assassin, the knee would make a swishing sound that had Artemis gagging.

When Dick screamed the team panicked internally. They didn't know what kind of plan Dick had but he was their best shot out of this place alive.

They watched as the assassin grabbed Dick by the collar of his shirt and tossed, yes tossed, him back into the center of the room. Dick groaned, but didn't wake. Blood dripped off him enough to start a small pool by his head and hands. The assassin still didn't encourage them as he walked over to the other assassin. All the bigger assassin did was toss his; what? Brother in arms, over his shoulder before striding out. The door slamming behind them.

Wally instantly slid himself to the end of his chains, trying his best to get over to Dick. He was only a few feet away before the chain pulled on him, the barbs digging into his skin. All Wally could do was visually assess what injuries he could see.

"He doesn't look like he had any life threatening injury but he was hit hard in the head" Wally pulled at his chains in irritation, "He might be bleeding in the brain but I can't see."

Kelder looked around, hoping to find something in the cell to help them out. Artemis hit her chain cuffs on a rock with minimal effect.

"I couldn't read their minds." Magan muttered, "Like they all had a black wall guarding their mind. It's like Batman's but his is more... human-like. Dick has one but it's a move of an offensive kind of guard that would put me out of commission for him to retaliate physically. The assassins on the other hand feel like they no longer have human emotion or intellect."

Kalder scowled, "I don't like the sound of that."

Conner snapped his head to the door, "Wally get away from Dick. They're coming again."

Wally took a fast look at Dick before reluctantly moving away. The door swung open again and no less than six assassins ascended the room with a mission. They didn't even glance at the team, as they set up chains on either side of the walls parallel to each other. Dick didn't even stur under the noise of rattling chains and hammering of nails.

When they set up the chains they turned their attention to Dick. But they hesitated to pick the boy up, knowing that he was dangerous. The bravest one out of the group poked the boy one, twice, even going as far to give a shake of the shoulder. Nothing.

The assassin's moved fast, grabbing the boy by each arm, ignoring the crunching sound coming from Dick's shoulder, and hoisting him up. The assassin's took the new chains and clapped them around Dick's wrists. Then chained his feet to the floor. They checked the chains once again before leaving.

Dick didn't even stir.

"He doesn't look good." Artemis said out loud.

Wally was fuming, "No Shit!"

"Calm, Kid Flash." Kalder scolded, "Us getting angry isn't going to help."

The door slammed open again. The big assassin was back but he brought with him a friend. The new man was dressed in an expensive looking suit and a white owl mask covering the entirety of his face. One of the other assassins scurried in with a tin pail last.

"Wake him." The bigger assassin snarled.

The lackey nodded, before tossing the contents of the tin pail on Dick.

Dick felt the cold water shock him back awake. He also felt the rush of pain from his leg and shoulder next. When his eyes opened, both of his worst nightmares stood in front of him. Sure one looked like a walking nightmare but the other was like a ghost that crept up on you.

Dick pushed through the pain to grab his new jewelry of chains. This time they had the foresight to put a chain on each wall and chain his feet to the floor. He grabbed the chains with his hands and pulled but they didn't budge.

"They're not going to come out Gray Son."

Dick glared at the darker of the two, "So you finally got through your head that I'm not to be underestimated?"

The lighter of the one laughed, "It's good to see that you still have your spunk, Richard."

"It's good to see that you're finally accepting that you're not Bruce Wayne." Dick shot back, "What gave it away? That you have no reflection of parents or the reports written of a Wayne clone made at Cadmus? Which was it Tomas? Humm."

A fist shot out connecting with Dick's jaw. It wasn't a hard punch, at least not compared to the others Dick had gotten over the years. The punch only made Dick smirk, "And you say to watch my temper." He mocked.

Tomas, the less darker of the two, pulled at his sleeve cuffs in aggravation, "I think this boy needs a lesson in respect, Talon."

Talon chuckled darkly as his hand went to the coiled rope of leather at his hip, "Agreed."